For Sale: Tuned K5LA, 3x 1/2 valves, York 210

Well it’s that time. I never thought I would get rid of her but I could sure use the cash. I have so many memories with this horn and it has never failed to put a smile on my face. I’m sure going to miss it. :’(

Its a raised letter (except for #1 bell), narrow font, K5LA painted in black metallic. The paint is pretty worn out now but these are easily re-paintable. Mike Muha also tuned this horn and did a great job on it!

-Before Tuning: D#+20, F#-30, G#+20, B-20, D#-30
-After Tuning: D#-30, F#-30, G#-30, B-30, D#-30

MAX PRESSURE: 110 PSI

Mike Muha recommended 90-110 PSI for this horn. I ran this horn at 100 PSI and I think that is where she sounds the best. Any higher and you will risk damaging the diaphragms and changing the tuning. This horn is already f’ing loud as hell at 100 PSI so there is no need to crank the pressure…trust me

Asking: $850 shipped to lower 48. Anywhere else the the buyer must arrange shipping.

I have some videos at the bottom so hopefully they work.

–I also have 3 1/2 electric valves, the same ones you find at hornblasters.com. One of them is used but still works, and the other two are new and never have been hooked up.

Used: $15 shipped to lower 48
New: $30 each, shipped to lower 48

–Lastly I have a remanufactured York 210 compressor with a dual v-belt pulley. Never been ran and has been sitting on my workbench for years just collecting dust.

Asking: $110 shipped lower 48

Running low on air for most of this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3plC7Z__1g

k5 sold

york sold

What is the meaning of the tuning numbers?

What is modified on the horn to change the tuning? What is changed on the horn by high air pressure to change the tuning?

The before tuning numbers represent the what each bell was playing compared to what is was supposed to play. A K5LA play a B major 6th chord, D (1) F# (2) G#(3A) B(4A) and D#(5). Often times horns dont play the exact chord that they are deigned to play, or the user what to make a bell play a different note. In this case tuning is required. In order to tune a horn you need a lathe and a lot of expertise. But more or less, if you remove material you will lower the note and if you add material you will raise the note. For example the machinist who tuned my horn said it would be more cost efficient to remove material to lower all the bells to play at -30 cents (a unit of pitch) rather than add material to raise it the play these notes exactly: D# F# G# B D#. So if you compared my horn to other K5LA’s, mine would sound slightly lower pitched.

Increasing air pressure causes the diaphragms to vibrate differently. It puts a lot of stress on them and the horn actually tends to squeal and change is intended chord.