York 210 vs. Oasis XD3000

I know this has been brought up a few times already, but I have some questions about this that are still killing me.

I have learned from experience that my pathetic Viair 480C is simply not gonna cut it for how I use my horn, which I quickly learned is more for the sound than just to scare people. My SUV has rusted to almost unroadworthy condition, so I plan to buy a pickup truck. Probably an older GM or Chevy 1500.

After reading and talking to people, I see the York 210 is relatively difficult to take care of. The questions I still have are, in terms of oil use, is the oil only used when the compressor is running, or whenever the car engine is running? I have also heard from multiple people that bigger belt compressors like the York 210 dramatically reduce fuel efficiency and horsepower on a car. Is this true? If it is, then I see how getting the XD3000 would actually be less costly in the long run.

I’ve heard York 210’s do have difficulty at higher RPM’s, greatly increasing the chance it will simply seize up, or won’t last very long. The CFM on average would probably be the same between the 210 and XD3000 too I’d imagine?

The setup I plan to use with whatever compressor I get is a 12 gallon tank charged to 200 psi, or possibly even twin 12’s. Case in point, there will be days where I may not use it at all, but other days when I will really make the compressor work.

What are your thoughts? The biggest concern I have is if the York 210 will eat up a lot of gas mileage, in which case I am definitely convinced on the XD3000.

The major difference is oil consumption. A York 210 will discharge 1 ounce every hour of run time (only while it’s running). The typical discharge rate of the XD3000 is 1 ounce every 50 hours of run time.
Any load on the vehicle’s engine will reduce fuel efficiency. It’s probably the same as an air conditioner, which is what a York 210 is made for.
The 210 can handle up to 2000 rpm but I’m not sure if it’s continuous. It might handel higher RPM for very short runs.
The XD3000 will fill 20 gallons to 150 PSI in 3.5 minutes. I don’t have the data but 20 gallons to 200 PSI is probably a little over 4 minutes.

Thanks Dan. I knew you’d be the first to respond. Haha. Based on your explanation, I’d probably blow the York 210 relatively quickly. I did some more research, and it looks like the York may draw anywhere from 7-10 hp, which is pretty substantial. Sounds like the XD3000 is my best bet.

Well, the Oasis is going to eat up amps – meaning your stock alternator may need to be replaced to properly power the Oasis. Also consider that when the alternator has to deliver current to power the Oasis – it, too ,will ‘eat up gas mileage’ since it, too, is siphoning power off the engine in order to do its job.

The specs on this page (http://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/item/air-compressors/xd3000-extended-duty-air-compressors/item-1050) show the XD3000’s current in amps at max load as a whopping 180 amps! The chart on that page shows it wanting 150 amps at 100 PSI… and extrapolating from the chart (which shows 50 amps needed per 50PSI) and a 180amp current at max load … I have to question if 200PSI is possible with the XD3000 – since extension of the chart would require 200 amps at 200 psi (assuming linear progression) – and max load is shown as 180 amps.

To put this into perspective in terms of truck alternator output, here are the various alternator codes I’m aware of detailing the alternators potentially found in Chevy Silverados (since those are what I know; do your own research for other trucks if you like) – and the current in amps they can produce:
K09 Alternator, 140 amps
K60 Alternator, 100 amps
K62 Alternator, 105 amps
K65 Alternator, dual, 105 amps each
K68 Generator, 105 AMP
K76 Alternator, dual, 125 amps each
K99 Alternator, 85 amps
KD9 Alternator, dual, 145 amps each
KG3 Alternator, 145 amps
KG4 Alternator, 150 amps
KG7 Alternator, 125 amps
KG8 Generator 130 Amp
KG9 Generator, 140 Amp
KW1 Alternator, 160 amps
KW2 Generator, 124 Amp
KW5 Alternator, 220 amps
KW7 Alternator, 170 amps
KW8 Alternator, 155 amps
KXB Dual Generator, 100 Amp
KXB Alternator – Dual 100 AMP
KY1 Generator, Hybrid motor

Most common in these trucks are the 105 - 145 amp alternators – meaning the XD3000 can pull more amps than their stock alternators can likely produce – which means draining the battery for the window of time where it runs. To preclude this you’d need an alternator upgrade – which to get into the 240 amp range (so you can power everything on the truck … and the compressor at 100PSI or better load … at the same time … without dipping into the battery) will cost hundreds of bucks. I know, because I have a 240amp DC Power Engineering alternator … and it ran me $400.

By comparison, 7-10hp for the window of time a York is in use … will cost you nothing in additional upgrades. Moreover, it may actually be more efficient in terms of engine load and fuel consumption… since mechanical energy is directly translated to work by the York to compress the gas whereas with the Oasis you convert mechanical energy to electrical energy (alternator) … then convert the electrical energy back to mechanical energy (compressing the gas) … and there is loss during each conversion.

As for problems maintaining a York, I don’t know what your impression is, but if you install a top-notch coalescing filter (which you should do regardless of whether you choose York or Oasis) with a sight glass and a drain valve on it … and you acquire a Kilby dipstick for the York, then maintenance is a breeze. Simply check your York oil level when you do other vehicular maintenance … and drain the coalescing filter then, as well. Replace your coalescing filter element once a year, too – or more frequently if compressor use is heavy.

I top of my fluid levels in my truck once a month … and check my York and its filter when I do this. Takes me perhaps 2 extra minutes in my 5 minute routine maintenance. If you are disinclined to do simple, quick, routine maintenance … then I’d suggest that, perhaps, an OBA system might not be for you…

This might help…
Battery & Charging Example

NOTE: Does not include vehicle’s other electrical requirements.

25 Gallon Tank:

0 – 200 psi: 6.5 minutes @ 160 amps = 1040 A/min

Charging System:

160 amps = No recovery time needed

80 amps = 6.5 minutes of additional charge time

Total recharge time = 13 minutes (80 amps x 13 minutes = 1040 A/min)

Top off:

100 – 200 psi: 3.5 minutes @ 160 amps = 560 A/min

Charging System:

160 amps = No recovery time needed

80 amps = 3.5 minutes of additional charge time

Total recharge time = 7 minutes (80 amps x 7 minutes = 560 A/min)

40 amps = 10.5 minutes of additional charge time

Total recharge time = 14 minutes (40 amps x 14 minutes = 560 A/min)

Thanks for the insights. I’ve been looking for these products and checking feedbacks before I make my purchase.