Train Horn Forums

Train Horn Forums (https://www.trainhornforums.com/index.php)
-   Suspension & Air Ride (https://www.trainhornforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Adding airbags to shocker system (https://www.trainhornforums.com/showthread.php?t=6359)

daywen 22nd March 2013 07:27 PM

Adding airbags to shocker system

I have the shocker classic 228VX kit on my 2003 F150 Harley truck. I want to add rear bags. What do I need to integrate them into the existing system?

I want either auto leveling, or manual adjustment... Just want to see what options ther are.

DBO 22nd March 2013 11:39 PM

Re: Adding airbags to shocker system

Others with air suspension will probably chime in soon, but I reckon you'll be needing to upgrade that air system if you intend doing stuff like that. Consider a constant duty compressor for a start and opt for 5 or more gallons if you want to run the Shockers plus bags from the one system

Stinkypete 24th March 2013 10:35 AM

I had bags on my set up & run them off a 2gallon tank set up & they worked fine, though like DBO said, a constant duty compressor would be help.

MarineOne 25th March 2013 07:18 AM

Mine are manuals.

I started with the Firestone kit, but the in cab gauge kept failing. I swapped it out with an electric valve and the AirLift Wireless AIR manifold with their remote control (see the link in the signature below) and it's been working well.

I can step out and visually level my truck, or do a remote dump and scare people :)

-Kris

danh@oasismfg.com 26th March 2013 05:43 PM

I recommend a pressure regulator on a dedicated tank output for the bags. Horns can drain a tank so you might need something to keep enough pressure in the tank.

Tlauden 27th March 2013 01:34 PM

Maybe a dual tank setup with a check valve in between? If you do it right you could use only 1 for honking but both for the air bag system. Just an idea, it would take some planning on how to hook everything up.

Posted using Tapatalk

Angie@hornblasters 27th March 2013 02:26 PM

It would probably be rare that you would be using the horns AND the bags at the same time so 2 gallons would most likely be sufficient enough for each application. You would probably have to add a T fitting to give you an extra port off the tank to then run a separate line to the bags. Then integrate your switch weather it be manual or electric. We have the helper bag kits here. They are sold as a kit correlating to the specific vehicle make and model. They come with a schrader valve fitting that you would remove and plumb into your existing air system.

MarineOne 29th March 2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danh@oasismfg.com (Post 66463)
I recommend a pressure regulator on a dedicated tank output for the bags. Horns can drain a tank so you might need something to keep enough pressure in the tank.

I plan on dropping in a regulator for the line running to the bags, but for now it's just a 1/4 inch electric valve that opens via a signal from the manifold. From there, the manifold just directs which bag gets air. If I need to air down the bag(s) the manifold controls that on it's own and the air exits the manifold.

Big props to AirLift for making this whole process a much easier solution.

-Kris

Boomerger 23rd July 2015 03:22 PM

A question to MarineOne, if I may. You mentioned a remote dump. Since I am fairly new at this (I at one time had just the horn system mounted on the roof of my SUV and only used them) I want to now install a horn system AND a rear leveling system on my Nissan Altima so I can better tow a utility trailer. Can you explain a "remote dump"? I might have experienced one once when a vehicle behind me did it (a loud "PSSSSH" sound) and then the truck drove off, slightly lower than before, but I never was looking in his direction to see anything escape, or see him going down, just the loud noise of air escaping. Would that have been a "dump", whether remote or not? Thanks, Dude.

MarineOne 23rd July 2015 10:50 PM

So the loud "PSSSH" sound is the air bags dumping out into the atmosphere, and that's controlled by whatever is being used to air up/down the air bags.

Now a remote tank dump is when you put an air line and electric valve on the bottom port of the tank. This way, you hit a switch and drain the water and gunk from the tank versus climbing under your vehicle to get to the tank and spinning open a petcock. You don't get dirty from the crap that sprays out, and it makes for a good scare if you're in close quarters when the horns would hurt someone's ears more than scaring them.

-Kris