Go Back   Train Horn Forums > Partners & Manufacturers > HornBlasters
 Register

Old 3rd February 2015
Horn Addict

DBO is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Difference between HB and GW manual valves

The pics are not what I'd consider a good guide if wanting to make minute comparisons on flow rate. Valve stem has nothing to do with the flow. Both valves have 1/2" NPT fittings and the inside architecture of the valve was undoubtedly copied from the Graham White.

Would you have a quality difference? Yes, absolutely
Would there be any difference in flow rate that you could pick up with your ears by listening to a bellowing train horn? Absolutely not!

If quality and reliability is your main concern, then spend the extra coin on a genuine GW, but if all you're worried about is the possibility of losing out on volume due to flow rate, you're barking up the wrong tree.
- 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara with Twin Viair 480C's; 200psi; Norgren regulator (R73G-4AK-RMG);Twin 1/2" lines (GW line regulated @110, SMC line @200); 5 gal.tank; K3LA on custom manifolds; SMC/VA85 solenoid; Graham White 353-100 (Install | Videos | Schematic).

The Collection:
Leslie SuperTyfon: RS5T, RSL3L
Nathan Airchime: K5LLA, K3LA
Shocker S4 XL
Old 21st February 2016

NathanH5 is on a distinguished road

Why does it not surprise me that the Chinese have come out with an "honorable train horn valve product"? They already make an "honorable 5-chime step-top steam whistle product". Not to mention copies of about everything except Nathan horns. Current Leslie horns are made in India. But there are rumors that soon the Leslie castings will go to China, then you can purchase your own "honorable S5T locomotive horn product".

I'll stick with my old skool valves, Viloco, Nathan & Leslie. They've done me well in the past.
Old 28th December 2016

Train_Horny_UK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
The pics are not what I'd consider a good guide if wanting to make minute comparisons on flow rate. Valve stem has nothing to do with the flow. Both valves have 1/2" NPT fittings and the inside architecture of the valve was undoubtedly copied from the Graham White.

Would you have a quality difference? Yes, absolutely
Would there be any difference in flow rate that you could pick up with your ears by listening to a bellowing train horn? Absolutely not!

If quality and reliability is your main concern, then spend the extra coin on a genuine GW, but if all you're worried about is the possibility of losing out on volume due to flow rate, you're barking up the wrong tree.
Do you still stand by this?????

MY SETUP:>
http://bit.ly/1TwihDu
Old 28th December 2016
Horn Addict

What's the problem?
- 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara with Twin Viair 480C's; 200psi; Norgren regulator (R73G-4AK-RMG);Twin 1/2" lines (GW line regulated @110, SMC line @200); 5 gal.tank; K3LA on custom manifolds; SMC/VA85 solenoid; Graham White 353-100 (Install | Videos | Schematic).

The Collection:
Shocker S4 XL
Old 29th December 2016

Train_Horny_UK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
What's the problem?
The fact that I'm gonna buy a black widow valve (rather than a GW) for an evil set of leslie horns (didn't like the ball valve I'd started using) and if you were/are wrong and the valve is restrictive then it means I gotta come a long way to hunt you down after lol.

MY SETUP:>
http://bit.ly/1TwihDu
Old 29th December 2016
Horn Addict

If you're having to save a hundred bucks on a clone valve it sounds like you won't have enough money to come after me .

After all that effort, money and time you've invested building that mad hatchback of yours, don't skimp on the last bit dude - buy the genuine GW. I still don't believe it'll make the horns louder or quieter, but I bet it'll outlive the Chinese version by a mile.

The Collection:
Shocker S4 XL
Old 30th December 2016

MarineOne is on a distinguished road

DBO,

Man, I dunno. I've been running the clone for at least 4 or 5 years now and the only issue I've had is it sticking open when below freezing. Once it got warmed up, no problem.

-Kris
Titan Fuel Tank (50 gallons)
Aero Muffler 4040XL
H&S MiniMaxx w/Tow tune with DPF

My ride and install

Engine driven compressor install
Old 30th December 2016
Horn Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
DBO,

Man, I dunno. I've been running the clone for at least 4 or 5 years now and the only issue I've had is it sticking open when below freezing. Once it got warmed up, no problem.

-Kris
That's good going. Can't argue with that kind of review
Don't know if there's anyone on here who has owned both variants. My main concern with the cheaper version was spare parts, but then again if it fails only after 5+ years, you can just buy another new one and still come out on top.

Not like we're in the railroad industry where there's a reliance on quality and safety.

The Collection:
Shocker S4 XL