Go Back   Train Horn Forums > Installation Help & Advice > Miscellaneous
 Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21st May 2014
Tlauden's Avatar
Tlauden Tlauden is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 2013
Location: Halifax, Pa
Posts: 257
Tlauden is on a distinguished road
Default "Shocker" switches

I wanted to show everyone some switches I custom ordered. HOPEFULLY the folks over at hornblasters don't get upset. This was custom artwork and text designed for these switches. But in the future will activate a set of shockers

So what do ya think?? I'm a fan of the one on the left, but wanted to see what both designs looked like



2 of the many more I got made for my truck



__________________
Conductor at Norfolk Southern, Harrisburg Terminal. (Includes the infamous Rockville Bridge!)



Nathan K3H
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21st May 2014
MarineOne's Avatar
MarineOne MarineOne is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: August 2009
Posts: 1,040
MarineOne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Shocker" switches

Okay that's just cool!


Need some more info though .... can they make them from the Can-Am switches for the Commander/Maverick?

How big are they? I'd love to replace my Radio Shack switch that I'm currently using in the spot where the power assisted pedal switch goes on my truck.


-Kris
__________________
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QCLB SRW
Nathan AirChime K3LA
Extreme Outback EDC w/8.5 gallon tank
Titan Fuel Tank (50 gallons)
Aero Muffler 4040XL
H&S MiniMaxx w/Tow tune with DPF


My ride and install

Engine driven compressor install
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21st May 2014
john7821's Avatar
john7821 john7821 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 18
john7821 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Shocker" switches

Thats very cool.I looked them up earlier.I may have to steal your idea

Last edited by john7821; 22nd May 2014 at 03:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22nd May 2014
surrealone surrealone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 2013
Posts: 286
surrealone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Shocker" switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlauden View Post
I wanted to show everyone some switches I custom ordered. HOPEFULLY the folks over at hornblasters don't get upset. This was custom artwork and text designed for these switches. But in the future will activate a set of shockers

So what do ya think?? I'm a fan of the one on the left, but wanted to see what both designs looked like
I prefer the one on the left, too. Those look like the switches sold by OTRATTW. If so, be warned the blue LEDs are stupidly bright. You will want them placed in a location that does not project light into your field of view (like placement in an overhead console will); they're that bright.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22nd May 2014
Tlauden's Avatar
Tlauden Tlauden is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 2013
Location: Halifax, Pa
Posts: 257
Tlauden is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Shocker" switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineOne View Post
Okay that's just cool!


Need some more info though .... can they make them from the Can-Am switches for the Commander/Maverick?

How big are they? I'd love to replace my Radio Shack switch that I'm currently using in the spot where the power assisted pedal switch goes on my truck.


-Kris
Looking at that switch you linked to, it is a Carling Contura II, the switch i posted is a Contura V, both use the same size mounting hole. OTRATTW.com sells both styles and im sure you could call to have either customized!!!!

When I get home later I can take measurements for you, According to Carling's sith though, Mounting Hole Dimensions Per Switch .83" x 1.45" ; 21.08mm x 36.83mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
I prefer the one on the left, too. Those look like the switches sold by OTRATTW. If so, be warned the blue LEDs are stupidly bright. You will want them placed in a location that does not project light into your field of view (like placement in an overhead console will); they're that bright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
I prefer the one on the left, too. Those look like the switches sold by OTRATTW. If so, be warned the blue LEDs are stupidly bright. You will want them placed in a location that does not project light into your field of view (like placement in an overhead console will); they're that bright.

That exactly where i ordered from! Yea, the blue is HORRIBLY bright. About blinded myself without the rockers on the switch body. Glad I didnt go with the Blue/Blue setup. In the end these will be mounted in a center console so I am hoping these will be out of my direct line of sight. plus the bottom blue LED is independent so i can put in a dimmer if i want to.
__________________
Conductor at Norfolk Southern, Harrisburg Terminal. (Includes the infamous Rockville Bridge!)



Nathan K3H
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22nd May 2014
surrealone surrealone is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 2013
Posts: 286
surrealone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Shocker" switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlauden View Post
That exactly where i ordered from! Yea, the blue is HORRIBLY bright. About blinded myself without the rockers on the switch body. Glad I didnt go with the Blue/Blue setup. In the end these will be mounted in a center console so I am hoping these will be out of my direct line of sight. plus the bottom blue LED is independent so i can put in a dimmer if i want to.
They don't dim all that much -- your cluster will be almost dark/unusable when these are dim enough to be unobtrusive. I know because I have 4 blue/blue switches in an overhead console and they're on the dimmer.

For me it's a non-issue, as I have almost 3x the light output of a stock vehicle up front, so the contrast change in the cab, while noticeable, didn't phase me too badly -- it just felt like my headlights got a little more dim when, in reality, it was the cab getting a LOT brighter. But for folks who haven't done that, be warned ... the blue LED switches are insanely bright and can actually pose a hazard to night driving if not placed carefully in the cab.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22nd May 2014
Malodave Malodave is offline
Member
 
Join Date: June 2012
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 46
Malodave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Shocker" switches

What kind of price?

Malodave
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22nd May 2014
Tlauden's Avatar
Tlauden Tlauden is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 2013
Location: Halifax, Pa
Posts: 257
Tlauden is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Shocker" switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrealone View Post
They don't dim all that much -- your cluster will be almost dark/unusable when these are dim enough to be unobtrusive. I know because I have 4 blue/blue switches in an overhead console and they're on the dimmer.

For me it's a non-issue, as I have almost 3x the light output of a stock vehicle up front, so the contrast change in the cab, while noticeable, didn't phase me too badly -- it just felt like my headlights got a little more dim when, in reality, it was the cab getting a LOT brighter. But for folks who haven't done that, be warned ... the blue LED switches are insanely bright and can actually pose a hazard to night driving if not placed carefully in the cab.
Good to know!!! I'm hoping in the center console MOST of the light output will be pointing up and not directly at me. Here are some rough estimates of size for those who asked.







Forgot to get a width but ill guess it's about 3/4" wide.


MaloDave- Each rocker was $5.25/each and the switch bodies were $11.50/each. So $17 per switch. Some bodies cost more/less depending on configuration. I do believe you can do custom text with any of the symbols they offer. Call em' up! Excellent folks to work with!!!!
__________________
Conductor at Norfolk Southern, Harrisburg Terminal. (Includes the infamous Rockville Bridge!)



Nathan K3H
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 PM.