Go Back   Train Horn Forums > Installation Help & Advice > Miscellaneous
 Register

Old 1st November 2014

rccrazy30 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Electrical issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ear2ear View Post
Check your grounds. Make sure you have bare shiny metal. A ground with some corrosion will draw more amperage. That would explain the change. It was probably gradual.

EDIT: As mentioned above the fuse should be placed close to the power source. BUT, it has to be sized correctly. It must be rated smaller than the rating of your wire gauge & length. For example if the wire was rated for 20 amps and you had a 30 amp fuse, the wire would melt before the fuse blows. You want the fuse to blow FIRST.
my ground is a connected to the tool box via a self tapping screw nice and tight.

Old 1st November 2014
Horn Addict

DBO is on a distinguished road

Try a better ground connection. Trays, toolboxes and other bolt on bits can be via rubber grommets etc. which can restrict a smooth path back to ground. Try running a wire straight back to the negative terminal on the battery or to a bolt point directly on the chassis.

If you can get hold of a multimeter try and measure amperage draw of the compressor when under load.
- 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara with Twin Viair 480C's; 200psi; Norgren regulator (R73G-4AK-RMG);Twin 1/2" lines (GW line regulated @110, SMC line @200); 5 gal.tank; K3LA on custom manifolds; SMC/VA85 solenoid; Graham White 353-100 (Install | Videos | Schematic).

The Collection:
Leslie SuperTyfon: RS5T, RSL3L
Nathan Airchime: K5LLA, K3LA
Shocker S4 XL
Old 1st November 2014

surrealone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ear2ear View Post
Check your grounds. Make sure you have bare shiny metal. A ground with some corrosion will draw more amperage. That would explain the change. It was probably gradual.
To help prevent corrosion at grounds, you may consider coating your metal-on-metal connections with dielectric grease. It's inexpensive and VERY good defense against corrosion. If you're in an area where brine/salt/sand are common in the winter, then you may want to do this several times per year (i.e. clean off the old stuff, clean up the connection, then re-coat) as a maintenance step.

This stuff is commonly called 'bulb grease'. Don't buy the little packets of it from the auto stores, instead, get a tube of dielectric grease from Amazon.com -- you'll get a lot more of the stuff for a lot less per oz that way.
Old 4th November 2014

MarineOne is on a distinguished road

Honestly, if you're having issues I'd replace it all with 4 gauge welding cable.

There are plenty of brick and mortar (and online shops) that carry the stuff, and it comes in both red and black.

-Kris
Titan Fuel Tank (50 gallons)
Aero Muffler 4040XL
H&S MiniMaxx w/Tow tune with DPF

My ride and install

Engine driven compressor install
Old 4th November 2014

ear2ear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrazy30 View Post
my ground is a connected to the tool box via a self tapping screw nice and tight.
And I'm guessing your toolbox is bolted to a painted surface. Maybe there was some bare metal where you drilled holes to mount the toolbox - maybe enough to create a good path to ground. But those are the areas that corrode over time. Just sayin' you might be better off with a connection to bare metal on the frame.