A/C Pump-Air Compressor Interchangably? - Train Horn Forums

Go Back   Train Horn Forums > Automotive > Onboard Air Systems
 Register

Old 4 Weeks Ago

CN8815 is on a distinguished road
Default A/C Pump-Air Compressor Interchangably?

I'm guessing this is not possible or at least remotely practical, much like many of my my ideas. I'm curious though, if it would be a reasonable idea to use an A/C pump for typical air conditioning, but with the opening and closing of a few valves, I could fairly quickly switch over use for compressed air.

The obvious issues I see is evacuating the R134a from the pump itself during times I need compressed air, and then pumping it back in when I'm done. I would also want to grease the compressor, and I've heard that grease and freon don't exactly react well with each other under greatly varying pressures. Plus grease in the tiny orifices in the A/C system I'm guessing would wreak havoc. I probably answered my own question, though my knowledge about refrigeration systems is very limited at best.

I have a Chevy Cavalier, and having two pumps installed at the same time would lead to ground clearance issues. The way I abuse the car, there already is too little clearance. Removing the A/C entirely would have me strung from a tree by a certain family member. I've wanted to go the EDC route because I do long recordings with train horns, and I don't have $2800 for an Oasis 12 volt. Yes, the Canadian exchange is awful currently. I have used a gas motor with a York 210, and wasn't the least bit impressed. It's too loud, the fumes don't disperse properly, and it attracts unwanted attention before I can even get the horn on the roof. The cops will bother you up here even if you're well over a mile away from the nearest house, so being inconspicuous before the blasting begins is a must.

My old Ford Escape had a non-functional A/C system. Too bad I didn't think of what opportunity there was before I got rid of it.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

MarineOne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A/C Pump-Air Compressor Interchangably?

Take a look at Extreme Outback (extremeoutback.com).

I have one of their EDC's and it's been great since 2009.

-Kris
Titan Fuel Tank (50 gallons)
Aero Muffler 4040XL
H&S MiniMaxx w/Tow tune with DPF

My ride and install

Engine driven compressor install
Old 2 Weeks Ago

CN8815 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A/C Pump-Air Compressor Interchangably?

I did mention I was tight on room. I'm aware of the Extreme Outback Sanden conversions, but there's no way that's fitting in a Chevy Cavalier with the A/C pump still functional as well.

Thanks for the help though.