Dashcam Question?? - Page 2 - Train Horn Forums

Go Back   Train Horn Forums > Automotive > Automotive Accessories
 Register

Old 7th April 2013

surrealone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dashcam Question??

I run a FineVu CR-500HD. I did NOT purchase the optional GPS module because I didn't like the idea of someone trying to use my dash cam's speed info against me (which is also why OnStar has been torn out of my truck).

The camera draws power through a Power Magic Pro device that I also purchased and installed. This device is basically a settable battery monitoring unit that acts as an uninterruptible power supply until it either a) senses battery voltage below a threshold you set or b) detects that a number of days that you set have elapsed.

Resolution on the camera is full 1080p. Storage is a 32GB class 10 micro SDHC card that I purchased separately. (It came with a 16GB class 10 card.) Daytime image quality is oustanding and night time is good. This camera has no monitor on it (which is fine because you see what it sees, anyway), so it's tiny -- it's slightly larger than a roll of U.S. dollar coins both in diameter and thickness.

A good dash cam specific site where you can learn about this camera and more is: http://www.dashcamtalk.com
Old 14th April 2013

ear2ear is on a distinguished road

^^^ sorry just found this post waiting for mod approval...
Old 14th April 2013

Tlauden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNFamasStalin View Post
I use a Go Pro Hero 2 as a dash cam for my tahoe everyday. Its got good sound and video quality and I have been using it since summer of 2012. Its recording every time im on the road. It was worth the money.

The batteries do kinda suck, but luckily i have a usb source build in to the car that i can plug into for power. you can also use a 12v lighter for power, but the usb was more cost efficient for me.

i dont think you wont find dash cams with GPS overlay, speed, and g-force build in unless you spend some big money for a police or military grade camera.

the reason you should go with a go pro is because it has a multi use purpose. I used it as a dash cam, gun cam, dirt bike cam and so on.

heres the reason why i use it for a dash cam. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EEz3VXMhS0
Do you swap memory cards everyday or is it recorded somehow?

Nathan K3H
Old 14th April 2013
Conductor

iNFamasStalin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlauden View Post
Do you swap memory cards everyday or is it recorded somehow?
i have a 16gb card, records a little over 2 hours. So once its full i just push a series of buttons and erase the memory and keep on recording. It can also accept a 32gb which will probably give you 4 hours.
Old 15th April 2013

Smith is on a distinguished road

Like the idea of the dash cam for sure!
Old 16th April 2013

Tlauden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNFamasStalin View Post
i have a 16gb card, records a little over 2 hours. So once its full i just push a series of buttons and erase the memory and keep on recording. It can also accept a 32gb which will probably give you 4 hours.
Ok, we'll that makes sense. I guess if nothing happened there would be no need to save the video.

Nathan K3H
Old 18th April 2013
Conductor

danwat12345 is on a distinguished road

For a dash cam on a budget, get a Flip Video F260 ("Flip Video Ultra 1 hour") camcorder. It takes 2 AA batteries that lasts about 3.5 hours with good NiMH rechargeables and has 2GB of memory for 1 hour of recording, does 480p, mono microphone, 2x digitalZ. No temperature sensor so it'll keep on recording for you in the hottest days of summer without air conditioning until it catches on fire. Make sure it is NOT HD quality, otherwise it'll have a temperature sensor in it. Only costs maybe $40 or less used.

Right now I use it as my rear dash cam with a metal fence bracket and some sticky velcro as a mount, along with a rubber band to hold it together. 100% reliable for years and years of use in the car with some abusive burning hot recording and at school for lecture recordings. Good value for money imo. I use a fancy Sanyo VPC-PD2 in the front, but the batteries last 55 minutes or less and it shuts itself off before long on hot days so I think I'll use another F260 for the front as well for the hot days.

As for theft risk, I put them in the glove box almost every time
1999CivicDX with Shocker 240 kit, 55w HID headlights, 35w DDMtuning HID back-up lights (for when driving backwards, mounted in stock reverse light fixture) Cheap $11 side fog lights from Harbor Freight for side illumination for neighborhood street corners/pothole lights.
2KW inverter hooked up to the battery, inverter behind driver's seat.
160Amp alternator.
Genuine locomotive E-bell zip tied&U-bolted inside back bumper.
2/15/2012: 225K miles
Train horn vids; Youtube 'danwat1234'

Last edited by danwat12345; 19th April 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 5th June 2013

Malodave is on a distinguished road

I am looking at the fine vue CR-500-HD also. I bought another one that turned out to be a Chinese Fake of a Chinese camera. The one I have keeps locking up and will not shut down until the battery goes dead. Then it will work again for a few days.

Go to DashCamTalk forums for reveiws on various models.

Malodave
Old 6th June 2013

gros21 is on a distinguished road

undien (as in the UHF/radio makers) have just released 2 cams a single and a dual camera. I have bought a single cam version 1080p. mine loops records eg once card fills it restarts. It also has a bump sensor eg i get crashed into when its paked it will record.
it was $58aus but dare say it will be teh same in teh USA

no speed overlays as i didnt want that feature. i will go tail gate some cas soon and see how good it is
Old 20th July 2013
Shocker

repeatman is on a distinguished road

Now you guys have me looking at this. :P http://www.ebay.com/itm/IR-Night-Vis...item2c7085755f

Is this a good camera? Or should I look else where?

2010 Marin Bicycle w Torker Bicycle trailer, Grovers 1045 and 1042. 120 psi. Delco Remy Stock horns on Handlebars. TYC Alternator, York 210 (Both Pulleys turn with wheels. Centennial Car Battery for power.

2000 Honda Accord. Nathan Airchime K3HA, 7 Gallon tank, Vi-air 280-P and Vi-air 380-C, Denso 130 amp alternator from Junk yard Honda Odyssey.