New from New York - Train Horn Forums

Go Back   Train Horn Forums > News > Introductions
 Register

Old 14th January 2017

harleygtp is on a distinguished road
Default New from New York

Hey everyone. I have a 1995 dodge ram 2500 Cummins. I want to do some type of horn setup and I was hoping this would be the place to get some help!

Here's Nancy!

So, where do I begin? Figured I want everything under the truck and I don't have a spare so that space is available. Also quite a bit of space behind that big ol bumper.

Budget is 1k all in, that's including all wiring and install components.
Old 14th January 2017

MarineOne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New from New York

Oh, someone's taken care of her .... I've never seen a '95 look that good, even if it came off the showroom floor.

You've tons of options for horns and to be fair, it all depends on how loud you want to be.

-Kris
Titan Fuel Tank (50 gallons)
Aero Muffler 4040XL
H&S MiniMaxx w/Tow tune with DPF

My ride and install

Engine driven compressor install
Old 15th January 2017

Thanks! I went out to Missouri to pick her up! After doing some reading, it seems like people generally start with a kit from Hornblaster and eventually move on. There are a lot of kits available, what are the differences
Old 15th January 2017
Horn Addict

DBO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygtp View Post
Thanks! I went out to Missouri to pick her up! After doing some reading, it seems like people generally start with a kit from Hornblaster and eventually move on. There are a lot of kits available, what are the differences
The Shocker kits are usually a good starting point since the horns are massively loud, easy to install and overall good value. The different kits are mainly to to with the compressors and tank size variations. Buy the best/largest air supply (i.e. compressor and tank) you can afford and that way you're ready to upgrade the horns when you want to.

Get a 5 gal. kit and a constant duty compressor if you have the budget. Most of the 12v compressors (apart from Oasis) are only rated to fill 5 gallon anyway, so going larger generally means running multiple compressors.

BTW.. great looking truck!
- 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara with Twin Viair 480C's; 200psi; Norgren regulator (R73G-4AK-RMG);Twin 1/2" lines (GW line regulated @110, SMC line @200); 5 gal.tank; K3LA on custom manifolds; SMC/VA85 solenoid; Graham White 353-100 (Install | Videos | Schematic).

The Collection:
Leslie SuperTyfon: RS5T, RSL3L
Nathan Airchime: K5LLA, K3LA
Shocker S4 XL
Old 15th January 2017

Great, thanks for the advice!
Old 15th January 2017
Engineer

n2ocharged is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
The Shocker kits are usually a good starting point since the horns are massively loud, easy to install and overall good value. The different kits are mainly to to with the compressors and tank size variations. Buy the best/largest air supply (i.e. compressor and tank) you can afford and that way you're ready to upgrade the horns when you want to.

Get a 5 gal. kit and a constant duty compressor if you have the budget. Most of the 12v compressors (apart from Oasis) are only rated to fill 5 gallon anyway, so going larger generally means running multiple compressors.

BTW.. great looking truck!
I have to mimic DBO here... the shockers would probably do you wonders... Later you could move on to an authentic Nathan Airchime type... I had an airchime... wish I never got rid of it
Old 16th January 2017

What if I just go big from the get go and grab a K5LA? What type of tank / compressor setup would I need ?
Old 16th January 2017
Engineer

n2ocharged is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygtp View Post
What if I just go big from the get go and grab a K5LA? What type of tank / compressor setup would I need ?
With a K5 I would recommend at least 10 gallons of air...

I had a K3 and it ate through air like no ones business....

The compressors, I would go with an Engine Driven Compressor (EDC)... they will fill a tank MUCH faster than your electric compressors and don't pull that much from the electrical system...

I am going to go with an EDC when I do my next setup... it's going to be from extreme outback..
Old 16th January 2017

How about something like this?

Old 16th January 2017
Horn Addict

DBO is on a distinguished road

That'll do
Like N2 said - an EDC will kick butt, so will an Oasis. There's a table with compressor options here you can take a look at. Prices are a tad out of date but you should get an idea
https://www.trainhornforums.com/showthread.php?t=6219

Keep in mind you can also opt for a 200psi system and then use a regulator to dial back to 100. That way a 5 gal becomes more like a 10 gal (well not really, but you get the drift). The more you want, the more the price tends to get outta hand.
- 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara with Twin Viair 480C's; 200psi; Norgren regulator (R73G-4AK-RMG);Twin 1/2" lines (GW line regulated @110, SMC line @200); 5 gal.tank; K3LA on custom manifolds; SMC/VA85 solenoid; Graham White 353-100 (Install | Videos | Schematic).

The Collection:
Leslie SuperTyfon: RS5T, RSL3L
Nathan Airchime: K5LLA, K3LA
Shocker S4 XL