wingless' Kahlenberg 115 and 117 Air Whistles - Train Horn Forums

Go Back   Train Horn Forums > Main > Train Horns
 Register

Old 20th November 2014

wingless is on a distinguished road
Default wingless' Kahlenberg 115 and 117 Air Whistles

The custom Oasis XD3000 air system I added to my boat is now getting some new parts. The primary air horns are my Kahlenberg Chimetone D-1 air horns.

The latest addition is my vintage Kahlenberg 115AMP whistle. Their new whistles are cast bronze w/ a brass bell. This older whistle is 100% machined brass. The valve is bronze.

This was an eBay purchase.

When the whistle arrived I found the initial sounding was not always spot-on, so I adjusted the gap, now it sounds immediately every time.

A new old-stock Kahlenberg 117AMP whistle from eBay will arrive next week. I will figure the mounting configuration when that arrives.

Sounding After Gap Adjustment

Sounding Before Gap Adjustment

Last edited by wingless; 11th May 2018 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Replaced PB extortion w/ Flickr
Old 20th November 2014

rjk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wingless' Kahlenberg 115 and 117 Air Whistles

Much smaller than I would usually expect a whistle to be. Do you have any specs or measurements on how much air they use and how loud they are?
Old 21st November 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk View Post
Much smaller than I would usually expect a whistle to be. Do you have any specs or measurements on how much air they use and how loud they are?
Yes, the Kahlenberg 115AMV Whistle is small, loud (132dBA at 1 meter), tolerant of a wide pressure range (50 - 200 PSI) and consumes lots of air (55.8 SCFM at 100 PSI). Glossy Web Page

This is a high pitch, 1,500 Hz.

The larger Kahlenberg 117AMP Whistle that will be arriving next week is larger, loud (122dBA at 1 meter), also tolerant of a wide pressure range (50 - 200 PSI) and consumes lots and lots of air (219 SCFM at 100 PSI). Glossy Web Page

This is a lower pitch, 500 Hz.

Glossy Data Sheet
Old 21st November 2014

surrealone is on a distinguished road

Very cool!
Old 24th November 2014

uk-z28 is on a distinguished road

looking forward to hearing it Wingless
I do like the ol steam whistles think I'd have to double up on air storage tho

Wish list....

Dodge Ram SRT10 Quad Cab

Prime 990

Old Cast P5
Old 24th November 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
When the whistle arrived I found the initial sounding was not always spot-on, so I adjusted the gap, now it sounds immediately every time.
It turns out there are instructions included w/ new Kahlenberg whistles that describe changing the gap to have the whistle sound properly at different pressures.

Quote:
A new old-stock Kahlenberg 117AMP whistle from eBay will arrive next week. I will figure the mounting configuration when that arrives.
The 117AMP whistle arrived. This is a new old-stock unused whistle.

The tonal quality of the whistle is outstanding.

A quick check shows that mounting in my planned location will be close to having enough room. My boat has an open array radar, where the antenna spins around above the pedastle. My installation has 5° wedges under the pedastle to angle it forward, so it remains flat while the boat is operating at speed, on a plane.

My plan is to mount each whistle on the arch's flat surface, adjacent to the radar pedastle, at the rear. The taller 117AMP whistle won't clear the rotating array at the front, but it might just clear at the rear. I need to disassemble some canvas to permit me to do a trial fit, to see if this will work.

My plan is to have the whistle on the top of the arch screwed into the valve on the interior of the arch, w/ the whistle and the valve snugged up tight against the fiberglass / gelcoat arch, at about ½" thick.

Kahlenberg 117AMP Whistle A/V Clip

Last edited by wingless; 11th May 2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Replaced PB extortion w/ Flickr
Old 25th November 2014

uk-z28 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm wasn't quite the noise I was expecting
What pressure was it blown at ??

Wish list....

Dodge Ram SRT10 Quad Cab

Prime 990

Old Cast P5
Old 25th November 2014

A whistle wants volume (CFM), not pressure (psi).

The 117 whistle has a ½" NPT fitting, that I reduced to ¼" NPT, then a quick connect air fitting for this test clip.

The test pressure was 125 PSI. If a blow nozzle was used, then I got almost no sound. However, when I use my lungs / lips, I can blow the 117 whistle and make it sound, albiet quietly.

The air distribution system on my boat is 1" plumbing, w/ 1" copper and a 1½" regulator, all running at 200 psi.

The 117 whistle does not yet have a valve, so I need one that will maintain flow, so I'm thinking about using a 3/4" NPT United Brass Works 25WT valve w/ a fitting to reduce down to the ½" NPT right at the valve.

The Kahlenberg 117 web page has a HEAR IT! pushbutton demonstrating the sound when properly supplied by air.

Note that my smaller 115 whistle has ¼" NPT fittings and was not affected by my test connection.
Old 26th November 2014

Quote:
The latest addition is my vintage Kahlenberg 115AMP whistle. This older whistle is 100% machined brass. The valve is bronze.

The whistle will be mounted by drilling a through hole in the top of my fiberglass / gelcoat arch, near the radar pedestal, where that exterior surface is flat.

The whistle base assembly and the 90° fitting will sandwich the arch, so the valve will be in the arch interior.

These images show the disassembled whistle. I was unable to remove the stem from the base to show the banjo bolt holes better. My guess is they use a thread sealant to resist disassembly of those two parts, w/ then mated w/ machine threads.

Inspecting down the threaded hole shows cross drilled banjo bolt holes, shown in the middle image.

Last edited by wingless; 11th May 2018 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Replaced PB extortion w/ Flickr
Old 5th December 2014
Master of Scares

Bryan is on a distinguished road

Very neat!

1994 GMC Sierra 1500
5.7L V8
Nathan AirChime K5LA
Graham White E-Bell
12 Gallon Tank
Dual Viair 444c
Hornblasters 100W PA/Siren