Air bags for offroad?

Hello

I hope you can help me.
I am looking for some air bags that I can use as helper springs on my Volvo TGB1314 6X6.

I have been looking all over the web, but have not been able to find precisely what I am looking for, I hope you can help!

The thing is that we are converting the old army truck in to an off road camper.
And in an effort to make it more civil and comfortable I plan on putting air bags as helpers on the front axle.
Right now it has standard leaf spring suspension with helper springs that appears to be similar to Firestones Work-Rite.
My plan is to replace the Work-Rites with air bags and maybe take a leaf or two out of the pack to soften up the ride.

The GVW is about 7.500 - 8.000 pounds

The issue is that the max. suspension travel on the front is about 11” (the total stroke of the shock absorber) and I have been unable to find any air bags that can accommodate this.

Another issue is diameter and size, where the Work-Rites are there’s only about 4 - 4.5" in diameter, 4 - 4.45" in height (fully comressed suspension) and 8.5" at ride height.

[FONT=Arial]I looked at the Air Lift D2600 Dominator, but they do not have the required stroke and diameter is an issue… Do they have bump stops inside?

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]Any input is highly appreciated!!![/SIZE][/FONT]

Best Regards,

Christian[/FONT]

i had these on my 03 QC cummins

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/dodge-ram/components/longtravelairbags.html

if you have welding skills and experience you could make them work surely.

Thanks!

I found that page before, but did not find the travel, now I did, 12" is great! What is the approx. diameter?
And I do not know if they sell the bags without the kit as the kit won’t fit my application at all… Maybe I should send them a mail.

Welcome Christian (name or status?),

I wish I could help but I don’t remember who the company was that demonstrated air bags on a Jeep at Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, UT.

Thanks, name, not status, since I started joining forums long time ago I have been using my christian name, Christian (pun intended) as a user name.

I found some Firestone 5426 that might work…

air bags are an interesting thing a close friend was a manager at a collision repair autobody shop and he said they would have people come in who hit the garbage on the way out in the morning and get smacked in the face and then they would have head on collisions at 65mph and the air bag wouldn’t deploy…these were all sorts of vehicles

Have you tried companies like Strutmaster, Universal, or Kelderman? I got those by seaching online for “off road air bag suspension” but I didn’t search their websites.