Air In-Take Filter

Hey how long can the hose that connects to the intake filter be? I ran mine into the cab to avoid any moisture problems. Mine is probably 4 or 5 feet. Thanks

Is this on a Viair? All of those types of hoses should be kept as short as possible, but it can be as long as you like really. The impact of having it longer is reduced suction - but not a huge issue at 4-5 feet I would’ve thought, given that the pump isn’t drawing in high volume air anyway.

If you want to know the true difference, drain your tank then time the refill - once with the intake hose removed and once with the longer hose. I bet the difference wouldn’t be more than a few seconds.

ok ive noticed my compressor filling a lot slower and just seems weak like its not getting the correct voltage. This didnt happen right after I put the hose inside the cab. but maybe a few weeks after. I was just curious if this was causing that.

Check out my other post re-guarding my fuse melting.

Yeah saw that fuse thing … nasty! Check all your ground wiring and replace the whole fuse holder. Obviously the compressor has been drawing too many amps over an extended time. I would even take the compressor out (i.e. disconnect from the tank and the intake hose) and just bench test it to see if it runs smoothly - maybe it’s gummed up internally somehow or the motor is cactus and drawing too many amps.

How can I bench test it? What I mean by that is I have an inverter that I can plug in 120v and it converts to 12v . I tried just doing the compressor (red to hot black to ground obvious) but it doesnt work. I think I need a relay inbetween?.. is that right? AKA the pressure switch?? I have the blue one from horn blasters.

It wouldn’t be an inverter then - they convert DC to AC. Anyway, just semantics I’m sure. In any case, if you have a bench top power supply it’s probably only rated at 5 or 10 A. The compressor will draw a whole lot more than that - so that won’t work.

Just hook the pos & neg wires from the compressor directly onto a car battery. To accurately measure the amperage draw you’d want an amp meter (clamp type) since an in-line multimeter again won’t be rated for such high current.

If you’re not sure about what you’re doing, or don’t have the gear I suggest that perhaps you don’t experiment and just take it to an auto electrician to check things out. Once you blow something up, it can be a far more costly exercise than just having someone with the right tools and knowledge to look at it.