Cattle & Horses

I never knew grazing pasture animals were so sensitive to 7 chimes and 7 gallons of air. :eek:

Haha yea, very sensitive to a K3 also!!!

On a side note, cattle can be very fast when scared senseless!!!

Horning animals is generally a bad idea. In the case of livestock, there could be people among them, and scaring these animals while someone is checking them could end in disastrous results. Scaring certain livestock when someone is in the same pasture could put them (livestock AND humans) in danger. Not to mention the hearing damage these animals could receive.

Please think before you horn.

It was a wide open pasture. Nobody else was around. I don’t intend on making a habit of it but you know…I just got these Shockers so… :smiley:

I only did this once, I was driving on the highway about 5 or 6 miles outside of town and seen a wide open field full of cows… my hand reached for the button and a pressing it did and I have NEVER seen so much cows hall oven running in my life up close in person! :smiley: Yeah, I made sure no one was around Whistles

There’s usually huge flocks of birds around here ready to hear the P5’s roar

On my way home in September I came upon a small herd of cows standing in the road to where I live. Apparently a segment of their pasture fence was down, as they were just standing there, some grazing on the road side while others blocked the road.

I pulled up to within 20 feet of them slowly in my truck, switched my horn selector to standard horn, let off a small ‘beep’ … and the animals did nothing. I let out a much longer ‘beeeeeeeeeep’ and there was still no motion, so I flipped the selector to my shockers. Letting off a half second burst startled all of the animals … with the younger ones flinching or jumping and those that had been sitting getting themselves up off the ground. This got them moving, but not in any unified way (or out of the way), so I let out a 2-3 second burst and every one of them took off running, which cleared the road.

That’s about as responsible as one can be. It gave me no pleasure to do it, either, as it was readily apparent after the first half-second burst that the shockers were painful to the animals. However, without them, the cows might never have budged. :frowning:

If only trains were so considerate :wink:

Years ago I was on an inter-state train journey and got talking to the conductor. One of the stories he recalled was the number of cattle and wildlife which they basically just plough-through during the night. He said - go have a look at the front engine when you get off. You’ll see the tell tale signs of all the stuff we hit on the way through.

You often hear the horn sound on a journey like that… I suppose you just don’t picture it as being associated with scattering (or failing to scatter) animals off the tracks.

Unpleasant business…