Compressor / Checkvalve Explained

The most common fault we see with compressors is for broken check valves. The relationship of how they work is common knowledge for most here, but for those that might not have considered how it all hangs together, I’ve put together some basic illustrations about how the compressor and check valve work, some common symptoms and what you an do to troubleshoot them.

So here’s the compressor 101 (how they’re meant to work):

So what goes wrong with a check valve? It either breaks internally or freezes. You can get them stuck open or closed positions and both are explained further below:

Of course apart from the electrical issues, you can also get other problems with your compressor. For example:

• Worn piston ring
  • Damaged compressor bore
  • Clogged intake; or
  • Broken reed valve.

If you’ve replaced your check valve and checked for leaks, then it could very well be a more serious fault; in which case you’re best to contact your manufacturer.

^^^^ I’m cracking up over here!!! As usual, DBO is awesomely amazing! You beat me to the punch. As I was checking new posts, in order of course, I came across the viair tech support post before seeing this. I’m glad you posted this as it will be very helpful amongst my lesson in the other thread :smiley:

Here is the information I posted in the other thread.

The check valve is a spring loaded ball. When the compressor turns on, this compresses the spring and allows the air to flow around the ball. When the compressor turns off, the ball returns to the orifice. If any part of this valve is accidentally crushed (over tightened, wrong tool used to tighten etc.) this will constrict airflow.

The below diagram is a general diagram for different kinds of check valves. The bottom two are similar to the type I am referencing, more so the bottom right. These necessarily aren’t a diagram for a Viair brand valve but gives you a picture for reference to plug in my lesson with.

Typically when the compressor builds a certain amount of pressure and nothing more, it is the check valve. Be sure it isn’t over tightened as this is a common mistake. We typically suggest to hand tighten the valve, then use a wrench 1/8" of a turn and this should be plenty.