Compressors acting strange with new pressure switch

Hey, Can anyone tell me why after I installed my new 200# pressure switch with built in dual relays, One of my compressors trys to kick on after they switch off. It is not really starting and running, just like you are bumping it on and off. I have dual 480C"s. Wondering if this will hurt the compressor? The new switch shuts them off together but just one is doing this. Thanks Mark

Check your ground

I checked the ground. Both compressors ground at the same place. All connections are tight and clean. Mark

Call up hornblasters… it might be a pressure switch problem/…

Is the pressure switch mounted to a tank port all by itself? (not sharing a tee)

I have the switch mounted in a 4 way fitting that the two compressor lines go to and the outfeed line to my other tanks. I got out and checked things and found that I had a blown fuse on the compressor that wasn’t trying to run after they kicked off. I replaced the fuse link with a 30 amp auto reset circuit breaker and cycled the system twice and it worked fine so I guess I’ll try that for while and see how it goes. Thanks guys Mark

The fuse has to be blowing for some reason tho… Check connections, particularly the ground… I know you said both compressors are grounded at same point but where is this point? Is it chassis , sheet metal , ?? Also check wiring for any rub spots or breaks in sheathing.

I only had a 25 amp fuse in, may not have been heavy enough? The other compressor has been running with a 30 amp circuit breaker with no problems. I have the ground ran from chassis to a terminal strip in my bed box, then the compressors, valve, and relay go from that. I will check the wiring again because as you say, there’s a reason for the fuse to blow. Thanks Mark

A good rule of thumb is to give the pressure switch it’s own port. Or at least not share with a compressor. The pressure switch can be faked out since it can “see” the compressor pulses. Then as soon as the compressor(s) stop, it reads the real tank pressure which is still low.

This could be your problem if all your connections are good.

Well, it was still doing it this morning on the way to work. I could tell because it makes the dash lights flicker while it was kickin in and out. So I pulled out the original pressure switch from the stock port in the tank, I have a 200008 rig plus two more tanks and another 480c pump. I cycled it twice and it seemed ok so we’ll see! I had the switch in a 4-way fitting where the 90 is going to the regulator from in front of the pump in this pic. This was before the second pump. Thats why the 4-way is needed. Thanks for the help guys, Mark

Ran the heck out of it today and it worked great! Thanks again guys. Mark

Good deal. You didn’t fit the 2nd compressor in that box, did you? It looks cramped in there!

man that setup is crazy…
“its tight. tight like a tiger”

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ha! Sure it’s in there! My wiring isn’t as neat as I would like but I wanted to make sure the pressure switch was going to work before getting carried away. I had the switch where the plug is in the 4-way. Mark

Wouser!

Yeah the pressure switch could get false readings mounted right next to the leader hose.

How many gallons does all that total?

I figure I have 8 1/2 gallons worth. I do need to replumb. Right now I have the regulator before the scuby tank and the yellow tank because I only had one pump when I first hooked it all up. I think I will tie the 200 psi into the scuba tank then go thru the regulator for the yellow tank. That should give me another 1.5 gallons of high pressure before my 135 psi horn pressure. I have a twin big rig horn hooked up to the stock horn button so it honks whenever I hit the lock button or the stock horn. It’s almost as much fun as the train horn when I see someone walking near my truck and hit the lock button on the key! Mark