Do I run the solenoid valve wire straight to the battery?

Hey everyone. I had a couple questions. I am installing a Nathan p3 on my silverado and I’m currently almost done after lots of cutting metal and drilling holes. I can’t wait to post some pictures of the finished project.
On the solenoid valve for the horns, I attach the ground to the frame, and the power wire… Do I run it straight to my battery with just the momentary switch in the line somewhere? if not, where do I need to run it to? I don’t want it wired up to my stock horn.
Also, for the wire on the pressure switch that only allows the compressor to run when the truck is running, can it be ran straight to the battery with just a toggle switch in the line? Thank you so much for all your help.

The valve will stay open as long as you give it power. If you are not going to your factory horn, then you will more then likely want to use a momentary push button. Then you can run power from your battery to the push button, and from the push button to your valve.

Don’t forget to fuse it first at the battery:D

I just read the instruction manual for my p3 kit and it says to put a 5 amp fuse if I just run straight to the battery. Should of read that first !
Anyone know of how I should tap into an ignition hot wire so the compressor only runs when the truck is on? Just use a wire splice or a fuse tap?

I just read the instruction manual for my p3 kit and it says to put a 5 amp fuse if I just run straight to the battery. Should of read that first !
Anyone know of how I should tap into an ignition hot wire so the compressor only runs when the truck is on? Just use a wire splice or a fuse tap?

Fuse tap for the trigger wire.
I assume you’re using a relay…correct?

The main power wire needs to come straight off the battery (fused of course).

A good source for you accessory hot wire (trigger to relay) is generally a cigarette lighter style outlet inside the cab. In almost all cases they are wired so that they only come on with the accessory key position.

The benefit by using that style of input is that the circuit is already pre-fused, plus in most modern cars the circuit is also likely to have diode protection to prevent reverse voltage spikes.

Sound like you’re almost there with the install anyway, but if you want more details on how to wire up the circuit perhaps have a read of this:
http://www.trainhornforums.com/showthread.php?t=6366

Got it all worked out. Ran a wire from the battery with inline fuse to solenoid valve. I have a relay wired up from hornblasters for the compressor so it only runs with ignition on. Think I’m going to mount a manual switch in the cab so I can turn it off myself.
I wasn’t quite happy with the way the horns sounded at 150 psi. Maybe cracked diaphragm? I’m going to disassemble and check them out. Thanks everyone for their kind help. Will be posting pictures of the install shortly.

Here’s a picture of my install, I will be posting more over in the my rides section.