Don't horn a state trooper!!

A state trooper had pulled a car over on the opposite side of the road in Vancouver Washington(State). The road was 1-lane each way, 35MPH speed limit - 18th street (18 blocks from the columbia) and around 125th.
Medium traffic both ways. No trucks or large SUVs in the vicinity. I honked my horn as I was passing him on the opposite side of the road. He whipped his head back and forth trying to figure out where the hell the sound came from.

I think he saw that the driver of the Honda Civic (my car) had ear muffs on. He must have gotten back into his car and managed to catch up with me at the Safeway (NE112th and 28th street).
He got out of his car and began communicating with me.
He had a lean army look to him, was wearing his trooper hat, caucasian, about 35-40yrs old.
He insisted that I was the one with the train horn. I kept on saying that it must have been somebody else and I honked my stock horn to demonstrate. He did not back down.

He went back to his car and printed out the ‘crime’. He cited me with “Reckless endangerment emergency zone worker” (46.61.212).
After giving me the printout, he said something about up to 90 days in jail, $5000 fine and 60-day license suspension. He said that he could take me to jail right now, but he wasn’t going to.
Soon after this he said He asked ‘Do you want to pop your hook so that you can proof me wrong’? I said “no”.

About 30 minutes later, he arrived at my places of residence. Asked for My mother who owns the car (Her name is on the title of the car). But she is in California right now. He told my aunt ‘his car has a freight train air horn on his car. I had pulled someone over who was 60 years old and was trying to get his registration when he went by and honked in close proximity’. My ears are still ringing! I am filing a injury complaint’. He wanted to let my mother know (the owner of the car) that her son had a freight train horn!
I admitted at this point that yes, my car has that horn. He said “I know that”. I said ‘I’m just saying eye to eye’.

The conversation soon ended and he left.

I am hoping that I can get the charge reduced to “improper use of horn” or some such traffic violation. It doesn’t help that I already have the “improper use of horn” traffic violation from a few months ago…
I don’t know how I endangered anybody with the horn, except for the trooper’s ears. In all my horning experience, not one driver has made any swerving or other fast alteration of their vehicle’s trajectory or speed when they have heard my horn.

Will keep you guys updated on what happens. My court date is on 4/29/11. I am thinking of getting an attorney/lawyer (whatever the right one is) at least for consultation.

I don’t plan on responding to this thread too often as i need to focus on school right now.

’ ’ means paraphrasing

EDIT::
I need to also say that he briefly mentioned why he gave me the “crime” that he did. He was an emergency worker since he had pulled someone over and within 200 feet either way, no automobile drivers can do actions that endanger the emergency worker(s) or property.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.212
from site;;
“A person who drives a vehicle in an emergency zone in such a manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger any emergency zone worker or property is guilty of reckless endangerment of emergency zone workers. A violation of this subsection is a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.”

That sucks…He got you good when you thought you were getting him.

Even with my horns I find myself wanting to honk them at tons of peeps. But I always have to restrict myself and just know my time and place.

Your best bet is to get a lawyer, so he can represent you in court. Just take it as a lesson learned.

wow how the eff did he pick u out of all the other cars??a honda civic…lol i would have expected a truck or something…
keep us updated man!!

Well that blows.
All I can think is to never ever ever admit that you have the horns.
What’s done is done, but he didn’t have any proof before that.

So now you’re not fighting whether you did it or not…you’re fighting whether you drove your car in a manner in which endangered…blah blah

Good luck to you, I hope it works out. It might be expensive.

honk that sucks, keep us updated, state troopers usually are pricks, not all, just some.

That sux dude!

Lesson learned! lol

Before i honk i look around for cops… If one is near, i dont honk!

Good idea!

Hey, can any of you look up the decibel rating of the hornblasters HB4H XL @ 150 decibels and 12 feet away? I know they say 152db but what distance? This is @ 150PSI. My system was fully charged…

I was on the opposite side of the road as the cop and 1 lane is 12 feet wide.

I am trying to see if I can find a formula that can show whether <3 seconds of hornage can damage someone’s ears permanently. I just hope the trooper doesn’t have some ear condition that causes his ears to be more sensitive to intense sound.

3 of the 4 trumpets were faced away from the cop. Only the shortest of the trumpets was aimed at him. The 4 trumpets are in my front bumper.

I’m going to be communicating with a lawyer by Tuesday.

the question is why would you honk at a cop let alone a state trooper in the first place…thats ASKING for trouble… and then try to get out of it? good luck with that…

quoted from howstuffworks.com
"Any sound above 85 dB can cause hearing loss, and the loss is related both to the power of the sound as well as the length of exposure. You know that you are listening to an 85-dB sound if you have to raise your voice to be heard by somebody else. Eight hours of 90-dB sound can cause damage to your ears; any exposure to 140-dB sound causes immediate damage (and causes actual pain). "

The issue will be the concern for safety of the officer and interfering with official police business, He could have charged you with way more charges and seeing you already have a violation for missuses of a horn, if the judge sees/ learns about it you will probably be toast. How old are you. Age will probably also be a factor. If you think about it, a sudden noise like that would startle someone that is in a dangerous situation already. cops look at things as if the hole time they are at work they are in some degree of danger, especially when they are on a traffic stop, they are concerned about traffic and the people in the car, and people walking up on there stop. A loud noise would piss them off as it did him. thats not him being a prick, thats just him taking the proper steps to prevent it from happening agin.

Hopefully you will not have too many issues out of it but around here, he has you dead to rights. Good luck and as said above, lesson learned, look before you honk!

Personally what i would do is remove the horn from your car, drive that car to court that day and plead your case. Say you made a mistake, did not realize having that horn was illegal, and tell them the horn is removed from the vehicle , and you will never do it again.

Either way they have you! so if you plead with them and let them know it is no longer on there, you might get off easier…

Also, before you remove the horn, hire someone from a car audio shop to go to the scene of the honking , and have them stand there with a decibel meter and camera to capture the actual decibel reading from the other side of the road as when it happened. Showing proof to the court that it is not as loud as the trooper is exaggerating might help your case.

hes mad u just scared him… no way the horns damaged his ears and theres no way he can prove his ears were damaged that quickly…

There is no way to prove eather side, too many variables. But he could say that it caused a ringing in his ear that hindered him from being able to safely do his Job and / or could cause permanent damage. Now honestly I don’t think it will go to all that because it’s too much effort for all that.

J.Wal

Well those shockers are really LOUD even with a Quick blast I got an ear ache that lasted for a week afterwards. I Avoid Law Enforcement when sounding mine which are on my bicycle. I also avoid sounding them near Hospitals, Elderly People, and people who look like they are in a pissed off mood already.

Why the hell were you wearing ear muffs? When you’re honking in traffic, especially at cops, you’re suppose to be as stealthy as possible. I’ve honked at cops who have pulled over people creating dangerous traffic choke points when they could have easily pulled them over 100ft further so traffic can get through. In that situation they have no idea who did it and they will never catch me if they ever decide to sprint back into the car, because of all the traffic they created. I still don’t know how the hell he caught up to you. If you were smart enough, you would have tried to lose him the second you saw him run back to his car.

Probably not the best advice in the world, round here dodging the police is a felony. And if he went to tell your mom that makes me think you are young. That would not be good for your driving record or look good on you in general, specially to run because of a ticket. that puts too many peoples lives in danger

Also we5leyz, I have seen cops try to pull people over and the person just keep driving, then stop in a bad spot. I wouldn’t think a cop would purposely make a traffic stop more dangerous for them when outside the car and in traffic. I would bet most of the time its the driver of the car that is in violation that truly picks where the traffic stop occurs.

Why didn’t you just say something ran in front of you, maybe someone pulled into your lane, etc and you just needed to use it as a horn and the cop just happened to be there.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Find out if they ever had to discharge their weapon in the line of duty. Hand guns are ~150dB, and if fired in the line of duty, they are not likely to have hearing protection on. If you have a lawyer, they will know how to subpoena this info when you go to court.

Shooting there gun in the line of duty is part of the job. That will not fly in court. In the line of duty the officer is exposed to that loud noise in a life or death situation. The officer being subjected to the horn is not a life or death situation.

But as I said before, that will not come in play probably.

J.Wal

If you were smart you would have garaged the car and refused to speak with him when he came to your house. Removed the horn and then took it to court, as the judge to allow an officer to inspect the car for the presence of any such horn, they don’t find one, and report back to the judge. Bring dimensions of the largest 'freight horns" you can find and also show some underhood shots of your model of car and state that there is no room to equip your vehicle with such a horn, so it could not have been you.

But no, you were a dumbass and admitted it to him.

HINT: those crime dramas on TV that have cops telling suspects that “if you cooperate with me I’ll go easy on you” are lying.