ECM reboots when compressor shuts off

I have a VIAR constant duty kit with the 450C compressor on a 2010 Dode Ram 3500. When the compressor shuts off my dash lights cycle on and off and the radio reboots any idea what could cause this.

Are you using a relay?
The power for the load side coming straight from your battery?
The power for the trigger side coming from an ignition (key-on) source?

If all that is wired correctly, I would just try a different spot for the trigger wire.
Welcome to the forums.

Welcome, ear2ear knows the Viair compressors better than I do. The best source to answer those questions is Lance who works for Viair.

I moved the trigger wire to the switched cigarette outlet. It only does it first thing in the morning possibly when the electric grid heaters for my diesel engine are cycling. If moving the trigger wire does not fix it I am going to try running a larger power wire and make sure the check valve is functioning properly.
The compressor is hooked up with the relay/pressure switch that comes in the “Constant Duty” kit from Viar. I double and triple checked my connections I am sure it is wired correctly.

Please stop what you’re doing, immediately!

I’m a Dodge/Cummins guy, and what you’re doing sounds like a brown out/voltage spike to the ECM and some of your other electronics. You could end up killing the ECM, and on our newer 4th gen trucks that could be a several thousand dollar repair bill for a new ECM.

You need to find another power source as the one you’re using is definately one you shouldn’t be tapping into for your compressor.

See if you can talk to the dealership (do NOT tell them your problems with the dash lights/radio) to find a better key-on power source for your gear.

-Kris

Put a big capacitor inline with the compressor power!

A capacitor will work with AC but blocks DC. With DC it will charge up and wait for the current to reverse direction.