er Hornblasters Conductor's Special Shocker 232XL Install...

About 3 days into it… Gotta say, Placement of all the equipment had to be the most challenging part… I’ve spent a lot of money on parts at Lowe’s… Not sure I’ll actually use all of it, but at least I saved all my receipts in case I end up returning a bunch of parts…

Here’s everything I got with the kit…

Okay… I’m using the metal bars that used to hold my spare tire under my truck bed to mount my horns…

After looking at all these pictures, I’m going to invest in some high temp black spray paint to spray the bottom of my Black truck… Lookin like I might need a new exhaust system soon… Kinda rusty…

Not going through my steering wheel horn… I bought a momentary button from Radio Shack instead… Still gonna hook up compressor switch to my ignition just to make sure it doesn’t run when my truck is off…

Got my air tank mounted with U Bolts on my rear driver inside bumper…

Mounted compressor directly behind license plate…

License Plate covers the 4 Screws…

Bought a 2ft x 2ft 3/4 inch pressure treated board from Lowe’s… Had to cut about an inch off, then spray painted it Black with Rustoleum Industrial Grade textured something or other… I’ll check out the paint can when I get back to the warehouse and let ya know the exact type… I just wanted to spray it with a paint that’s gonna last!!!

Used a Skill Saw to cut an inch off and a Jig Saw to cut the Hole in the middle for the spare tire catcher thing…

Got the horns mounted and screwed onto the board…

Sanded and Filed down edges on board…

That’s what I have so far… I guess wiring is next… I have a bunch of plastic tubing to protect wires… Gonna run them all the way under truck and zip tie to frame…

Run wire to battery, then through fire wall hole to make my switches and plug into ignition fuse wire…

Okay, I do have a Question…

How many wires do I need to run from Front of my truck to the Back?!!

I’ve got one Red Wire (Looks to be about 12 gauge) and the Blue Wire is much smaller… (not sure the gauge on it…)

Both wires are about the same length and will make one pass each from front to back of my truck…

I’d like to get the wires zip tied to the frame of my truck, but I’d like to make sure I have enough wires for what I want to do…

Oh, and here’s a picture of my momentary button that I bought from Radio Shack…

I also bought a New on/off switch for the compressor… It’s got a cool red protector flip cap on it…

I’d like to get a cap like this for the momentary button… Anyone got any ideas for a home made one?!! The last thing I want is to place my button in a spot where I hit it with my knee… It’d be nice to have a protective flip shield or something like that… Radio shack only had this on/off switch protector, but not momentary protector flip shield buttons…

Well, that’s it for now… Got a bunch of family coming into town for the holiday, so I will be up at the warehouse working on this install and drinking lots of Miller Lite!!! LOL

Any input, suggestions, criticism, etc is Very Much appreciated!!! I really suck at electrical wiring and I’m not offended if you have a better way of installing these…

More pictures of install to come in the next week…

Thanks for looking,

Jon

Looks like you’re in the home stretch. A little wiring and you’re done.
You’ll need another wire for the horn valve coming from your button.
Use the lighter blue wire for the trigger wire coming from your ignition / toggle switch.
The heaviest wire is for main power off your battery.

I’m having a little trouble finding a secure, dry location to put my filter… and how do you change the filter?!! I tried to take that little grey plastic piece apart, but after taking the screws out, it still wouldn’t budge and I really didn’t feel like breaking it… I’m guessing there’s already a filter in there to begin with, so I won’t have to mess with it right away…
I’m thinking of attaching it underneath and inside my back bumper… I have mud flaps and at least the filter would be inset a little… but still if I drove through a puddle on a rainy day, like today, it could get it wet… HB sent me 6 feet of hose for the filter, but everything needs to be under my truck bed…
Just looking for any fresh ideas and maybe a Demo of How to change the filter without breaking it into a million pieces… Thanks for the input…
Working on this at night at my warehouse… Family just starting to arrive for holiday and I’d really like to get this done before the weekend as a Christmas present to myself!!!

You don’t have to mess with the filter element for now. I couldn’t find anything on the Viair website about how or when to change the element. But they do sell replacement housings and elements.

Hopefully you can find a dry location. Just so it doesn’t take a direct hit with water. If 6’ isn’t enough you might need to pick up a longer piece.

Some people use hose barb fittings at the compressor’s intake with 5/8" heater hose and connect it to their vehicle’s air intake. If you can do that then you only have to change the vehicle’s filter.

That sounds like a Great idea!!! it would be a lot of heater hose going from underneath my truck bed behind the license plate (where I mounted the compressor) to the front of the truck, but at least I wouldn’t have to mess with replacing the filter or going through a puddle and getting it wet…
Do you think it would matter how long the hose is?!! I mean, if I ran that long of a hose (guessing maybe 7 or 8 feet at the most all the way under my truck to my Truck’s air filter) would it hurt my compressor or take longer for the tank to fill up, etc…!!!

It’s been raining the past two days and I really haven’t had the chance to work on anything…

Okay, question… I’ve been reading in the forum that the easiest way to connect toggle switch wire (for compressor) to ignition is through the cig lighters… I have 3 in my truck and ALL run ONLY when my truck is ON… Therefore, they will work, but I have no idea what wire to connect it to or How To connect the wires together… Anyone have a Diagram of materials needed and/or picture of what it looks like connected?!! I’m a Visual Learner… I can read all day long and nothing sticks, but if I see the picture, it Clicks!
Thanks for the help!
Rain is passing over and I might be able to work on it tonight if family doesn’t need me to do anything…

A hose that long will restrict the air flow to some degree. I’d probably use 5/8" or larger.

I can’t help you with the wiring as the control for our compressor is based on ground.

Not sure if you got the wiring figured out yet but check out this thread -
http://www.trainhornforums.com/showthread.php?t=5513

Yep, sure did! Had a bit of a grounding issue, but finally figured it out and now I’m up and running… Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped out!!! Videos and more pics to come soon…