Extreme Outback EDC review

I finally found a good EDC for the newer diesel trucks out there, bought one, and I don’t regret it!

Pictures!

Fill rates on a 5 gallon tank are similar to the Oasis XD series. 0 to 150 psi is roughly 50 seconds at 2000 RPM, or about 80 seconds at idle. My pressure switch is the 145-175 psi version I bought from HB so the fill times are a few seconds more.

Pump is rated to 200 psi, and the kit included everything to get it installed.

Complaints

The install had only one issue; it calls for slightly bending the power steering lines and I didn’t like that so I had custom lines made. You can see how the power steering line is run across the top of the battery and that had to go. I’ll have one more picture coming of what it looks like with the new lines installed.

-Kris

Lucky dog. So are you going with a larger tank at all?
Congrats!

I’m upgrading to the 8.5 gallon tank, but ran out of time before I could get the truck bed Rhino-lined and the new tank bolted in. I did get to weld some stand-offs to the tank so that the elbow on the bottom hole of the tank for the drain solenoid won’t have clearance issues.

Refill times of around 20 to 30 seconds are normal after a good 3 to 5 second honk, and after fixing some other issues I’m a bit louder now too.

-Kris

Thats would be nice to have. But I have dual Air Zenith compressors that will be here tommorow:D

I was planning to do an Oasis but the batteries, cables, and alternator upgrade made it cost prohibitive.

This is more for getting the information out there … and it works on engines other than my Cummins 6.7 …

-Kris

Yea I like the oasis due to thier high CFM flow but I couldnt say no to Air Zenith they have really nice products and for the CFM vs amp draw betweem Air Zenith, Air Zenith was the better choice.

Yeah, an EDC is the way to go if you can hack it. I have dual alternators, so it’s not worth trying to make it fit. I have some other silly stuff in the works pertaining to AZ.

Why did u have to post this? Now, as soon as my compressor dies out then im going to want this.

Is the power steering lines shown on the pic at risk of damage or did you just not like the position and just want a cleaner look?

Looks good. Saw your posting over on DTR.

You’re on DTR, too? Sweet! Chris (cbrahs) was wanting to see my setup before I left to come back overseas and I couldn’t get away from the family the week he was up in my neck of the woods. I needed to get more photos of the install, but with packing and having to fix some big problems with my '06 I just ran out of time.

My '08 is setup to be my tow rig, and I didn’t like the way the lines flexed or the way they sat and rubbed the post on top of the battery after having to “bend” the steel lines down by the pump. With towing my toyhauler, the lines would flex even more due to the load and that would lead to premature failure. That’s when I went with custom power steering lines which are stronger than what came on the truck, and properly routed.

It also eliminated a problem Dodge has with some of their power steering lines (aka, the hissing issue) on these trucks, which is caused inside the lines themselves.

Like I said, this is more informational than anything. I’ve been looking for an EDC for a while and wanted to make sure folks not only knew about this product, but the pro’s and con’s of it, too. I’ve even seen this kit put on an LS series engine (http://tpiparts.net/inc/sdetail/16933/19872) so I know it’ll work for a lot of folks:

-Kris

EDC’s are becoming more scarce as vehicle manufacturers cram more stuff under the hood not leaving room to add anything.