FAULTY NEW VIAIR 400c.......

I have mentioned a couple of times about a small collection of faulty VIAIR compressors I seem to be accumulating. So today I decided to bite the bullet and strip down one of the brand new faulty 400c compressors that has been sitting here for ages now.

I do realise that the warranty on this compressor has been compromised, but it is just not worth paying to have this sent back to the States to be changed & a replacement sent back to me, its cheaper to just refurbish this one.

This compressor was used no more than half a dozen times (6) before it completely stopped pumping air for no apparent reason??

I had to first pick out the silicone that is put into the top of one of the 4 Hex bolts on the head.

One by one I removed the Head bolts.

All the bolts are out.

Next I removed the head and saw a plate with a reed valve on it.

The head piece was full of debris!

I then noticed something sticking out of the reed valve?

I removed a small splinter of metal out of it.

Next was to examine the top of the piston, which was also covered in metal debris.

I then wanted to inspect the cylinder, which I could now see was scratched & scored on the wall of the cylinder.

Next to get my attention was the bits of metal that were in the piston ring?

So it is clear that there has been a major failure within the compressor, but question is, where did all this metal come from?

Now I just need to speak to Rigo to hopefully get me the replacement parts for me to rebuild the compressor.:D:D:D:D
The other two compressors have problems with them blowing fuses whilst under pressure and I will be testing them on my van (eventually lol)

Now where was I? oh yes about to email Rigo :slight_smile:

Dang - that’s a lot of debris.

Thanks for the detailed pics.

E2E my pleasure. :smiley:

Just wish I knew where it all came from?:confused:

Spoke with Pitbull (Rigo) & he has confirmed that the metal has come from a broken Reed/valve on the piston, it should normally be covering the big hole you can see on top of the piston, you can see where it has snapped short under the screw. Cheers Rigo.

Doesn’t take much to ruin the internals once you have metal bits flying around inside an alloy housing like that. I’m surprised by how black the top of the piston is, given its limited lifespan and use. Was that all just gunked up lubricant?

BTW… great job on the photos - they’re gonna become a good reference for people trying to understand how those compressors are built internally.

I dont think it was lubricant, it was only on its sixth cycle when it failed, I guess its just the residue of the disintegrated reed valve.

Cheers for posting this up Stinkyp
Now we know whats inside them :slight_smile:
Any update on it yet parts cost etc
Stu