First question from Portland Oregon

Newbie to the TrainHornForum and newbie to train horns but I have drank the Kool-Aid and am hooked. I bought some Kleinn 502s, and yes, I already know they are not real train horns but I can only dream of a set of the real deal big dog Nathans. I have a dual Viair 400C setup I am building with a 5 gal tank and a Graham White 353 valve. My concern is somebody yanking the Graham White valve at the wrong time. Obviously that would be the last time they would be in my truck, plus they would have to pull my knife out of the back of their hand but the problem is still there. I think I may plumb a manual valve on the left side of my seat(GW on the right). Other than beating the tar outta somebody and kicking them out of your vehicle, does anybody have a good way of keeping your horn safe that does not impede getting the horn honking when you need it. I don’t want to throw a switch to a solenoid each time I need to pull the GW handle.

BigHoss
PS I saw the vids from the guy honking in the Hwy 26 tunnel. That is the big tunnel. We have lots of little tunnels and tightly enclosed overpasses that I already use to “enhance” the sound of my 4" Cummins exhaust. Can’t wait to finish my horn kit.

If you’re looking for a lockout, I think putting a solenoid in-line to the valve is your only way. To keep it simple and avoid another switch, you could just link it to the ignition, so that the horn circuit is only live whilst the engine is running. Personally I think a safety switch would be best, but to each their own. Do do anything mechanical in terms of a lock would be far more complex I think.

Perhaps you could do what I’m doing which is to add an in-line ball valve (put it on your side of the truck) so that you can restrict flow to the horn if you think your passenger may honk it.