Fuse VS. Breaker?

Quick question for all you electrical folks, is there an advantage as to why everyone uses fuses vs breakers? I’m gathering electrical supplies for my install and can’t seem to find any inline fuses with 10g wire locally, the parts guys look at me like I’m asking them for some unknown to man product. What the auto store does have is breakers. Is there any reason not to us them? I have them on my lightbar main power and everything works fine. Luckily I have never had a short though so I don’t believe they have ever tripped.

This is the style I’m talking about. I’m thinking each compressor (444c’s) would get a 30 amp right?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361378812.000434.jpg

Tyler,

We have the 12g inline fuse holders here.

To answer your question though, breakers and inline fuses are a form of the same concept in the circuit. Each 444 would get its own breaker.

Yea, I shoulda ordered from HB, I guess I put too much faith in our local advanced auto haha

You may also look into distribution boxes that have multiple fuses. The one I have on my system has 2 cylinder style fuse holders so you can have two separate circuits. It is 1xup to 2 gauge in and 2xup to 4 gauge out. Plus it makes a cleaner install.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

What ever you do, there needs to be a fuse or breaker close to the battery so the entire wire is protected.

I like the fused distribution block setup close to the compressors with a larger fuse near the battery.

I don’t see why you couldn’t use breakers though.

Definitely one near the battery. I have a 100amp by the battery for this circuit BTW.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Firstly, … both will do the job. There tends to be some speed difference of how quickly they will break the circuit. Fuses, especially in an automotive application, tend to be quick-burn which are better at protecting sensitive circuits.

My basic rule on whether to use a circuit breaker or a fuse depends on the likelihood of the circuit coming under excessive load and needing to be cut to prevent damage.

If you have an unstable power supply with large spikes that could cause regular issues for your intended application, then use a circuit breaker. Keep in mind that breakers will wear out over time and would need replacing. In general a more expensive option.

If you have a well designed circuit and you do not see any reasonable case why the circuit should overload (i.e. you only need it to protect for a failure scenario), then use a fuse.

I always prefer fuse over breaker. There is no specific reason but fuse have never given me any trouble so I never tried breaker.

I use a breaker. Reason being when I put the winter front on my diesel, under hood gets to 60c area. I popped a 200A fuse, and replaced, then checked the load. And it was only about 30 inrush. I’m thinking long term subjection to the heat, weakened the fuse. It can do the same to breakers, and make them pop early, but atleast you can reset them.

I prefer fuses, because as was previously noted, long term subjection to heat weakens whatever’s exposed to it – whether it’s a fuse or a breaker. Sure you can reset a breaker, but if it’s been weakened in this way then it needs to be replaced. Replacing a fuse is easy – just carry a spare. The first time it pops you replace it and the weakened part has been replaced. But if a breaker has been reset after it’s been weakened … it’s going to keep popping until you replace it, and it’s more of a pain than resetting a breaker.

I’m somewhat of a boy scout, though, in that I carry spare fuses of every type on board my vehicle.