Hello from South LA

Let me just start by introducing myself. My name is Chris and I live in south La. I am new to the train horn world and would like to go over the setup that I plan on getting and would like to hear peoples first hand experience and guidance on what sounds right and wrong on what I will be doing. First off I will be piecing everything together. The horns themselves will be bought from realtrainhorns.net. ANY THOUGHTS or CONCERNS about them? I am looking at the K5LA, but will be mounting them on the individual brackets that the sell and mounting them along both frame rails on a 2012 F250 SWB. One question I do have is if I mount them facing the same direction will there be any detrimental effects in sound quality being the horns will be spaced out and not sitting on the original manifold? The compressor will be and AZ OBII. The tank is going to be a seamless tank from speacialty suspension in CA. It will be a little over 5 gal capacity. This will be a custom built tank as I am changing the ports sizes from what they usually sell. I am thinking 8 (1/2’’) ports (2 on each end and 4 across the front and 1 (1/4’’) drain port offset 90 degrees from face ports and centered on the tank. Any thoughts on ports sizes on what i should go with as this will be custom and only want to do it once. I am aware of the the pressure switches and relays and all wiring that I did not mention in the setup. However the valve for the horn will be an electric GC 350. Please feel free to express any pros, cons, thoughts, and concerns about the setup because I would like to get all the info that I can prior to getting any of this started. Which I would like to do very, very, soon as my wife who was completely against it decided she wanted to get it all for me as a anniversary/birthday gift. Thanks to all in advance

Welcome Chris. That’ll be once heck of a first horn rig. Everything you described there is good. RTH is OK to deal with - the horns will be good quality, no doubt powder coated and with new internal diaphragms & rubbers. A couple of points:

[ul]
[li] Are you running the system at 200psi? If so, make sure you include a regulator.[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li] Compressor vs tank size - keep in mind that unless you buy an Oasis, most compressors are only ever rated for 5 gallon tanks (warranty wise that is). So if you do end up with bigger air system it’s worth getting a twin compressor kit. Depends too how much you intend on honking those K5’s. They do chew a lot of air.[/li][/ul]

BTW… Any wife who buys his man a train horn kit for their anniversary is OK in my books :smiley:

Welcome to the forum. DBO is right, our compressors are only limited by duty cycle, not tank size, and they fill 5 gallons from 0 to 150 PSI in 55 seconds.