HELP Blowing Fuses!

I need help and bad. I have had my horn system for over 2 years and it has been going strong with no problems. All of the sudden I am blowing fuses left and right. I have checked all major connections and wire splices and installed all new connections and still I am blowing fuses. Is there anyone else out there that knows what this problem may be and how do I fix it? I miss my horn.:mad:

Is it your main compressor fuse? Does it blow right away?

Maybe a wire is pinched somewhere. Or worn through - for instance where a wire passes through the firewall if you didn’t use a grommet.

It is the main fuse near where I have the large gauge wires connected to the battery. No breaks or frays in the wiring, I have searched every inch. I am guessing i need a new pressure switch? or Maybe a bigger fuse but I have tried everything from 30 amp to 40 amp fuses. The compressor will come on and run until full and then the fuse blows or the next time I turn on the truck a fuse blows.

Is your ground solid? no paint to interfere, soild connection(not loose) and preferably water free?

Probably not 100% water free. I could re-check the ground. Will a faulty ground cause a fuse to blow?

ok… when the fuse blows, examine the remnants of the fuse. Has it blown to smithereens or are there bobbles on the wire part of the fuse? Sometimes you can tell if it is a dead short because the fuse blows and there is not much left of it, where as a fuse that blows from overloading will have bobbles of melted metal.

The other thing to try is, when the compressor is running, feel the fuse, is it getting warm or hot? If so it could be your compressor is faulty and starting to draw more ampage than normal.

The third thing I would suggest is to disconnect the pressure switch and run a temp wire from the battery to the compressor, via a fuse and see if the compressor still blows the fuse?

Hell I used 80amp fuses cuz mine kept blowing…never blew again after 80amps. Lol

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the great advice. I will give all the options offered a try. Hope something works soon.

Yes. It’s worth taking off and sanding it clean to be sure.

is it possible the check valve can cause that with some compressors?

I know is bringing up a old post but my setup just started doing this today after 1.5 year of trouble free service. I have checked every inch of wire also. Just curious what the issue was if anyone ever found out.

Hey, no problem. Welcome to the forum.

If your wires are all good, the easiest thing to check is the ground. Make sure you have bare shiny metal attaching to bare shiny metal. A bad ground can cause the compressor to draw more current.

Appreciate it. To day I redid my wiring and got the grounds down to bare metal again and it’s still doing it. I’m using a single viair 480 compressor if it matters. The tank will fill up and shut off. As soon as it losses any air the compressor never comes back on. When I look at the fuse its blown.

:rolleyes:IMO, It’ll be the windings in the compressor!
On start up when there is air in the tank already, for some reason the compressor has to work that split second harder & draws more current. I have seen this two or three times now.
The last time was with a brand spanking new Viar 400c. My customer was getting a little impatient :mad:with me because I kept going back over to check the wiring installation as his kept blowing fuses! In the end, I fitted another brand brand new 400c & I have not heard a Dicky bird from him since!:D:D

Welcome to the forum.
I seem to remember some threads a few years ago about Viair compressors blowing fuses when the check valve was bad.

can you ebay me link to the ones you have please im having that same problem mine melted lol