Help Finding Compressor for a 5 Gallon Air Tank

G’day, guys.

I have taken the DIY approach to a train horn install and instead of opting for a kit, I instead bought horns, air hose, fittings and the tank separately. I also bought a cheap eBay compressor by Outbak, which blew up.

I was just wondering if anybody knows of a cheap, reliable compressor that is at least 25% duty cycle, at least 120psi and runs on 12V (DC). I would prefer a cheaper alternative to Viair or Oasis. As good as their reputations are, they are far too pricey for me. :\

I am looking for something under $150 (including postage to Australia). I know this is a long shot, but I have put so much money into this setup already, I cannot afford much more. I would recommend anybody to just buy a kit, unless you are just insanely curious, like I am. :slight_smile:

Thanks, guys. I hope to hear from you soon.

You can get a reman’d Viair from the Hornblasters site for around that price, shipping not included though…esp to Australia. I’d highly recommend getting something reputable like a Viair though, for that large of a tank.

I have a 5gal tank, and a reman’d 450C ViAir compressor…that I have run for YEARS. Its held up to the task without a hitch…the only problem I’ve had was a stuck check ball in the pressure hose from the pump (which is from moisture).

I have found a decent price on both a Viair 400C and a 480C. I like that the 480C is 100% duty cycle, but overall how does a 480C compare to a 400C compressor? Could I get away with just a 400C? Are they both equally reliable? If I got the 400C and ran it for way too long without a cool down period, what would happen?

Overall, $240 for the 400C and $325 for the 480C. Which would be a better investment, if I only used the horn say once every 5 minutes for a 2 hour long “tooting session?” Also the 400C is only rated to 150psi, whereas the 480C is rated to 200psi max output pressure. I am currently only running a 110psi, system with a 150psi tank. But would the 480C last longer than the 400C, because it would operate further beneath its maximum output pressure.

Also, would a 480C be better if future upgrades took place? Is there much difference in the loudness of the sound of a 150psi and a 200psi train horn?

I have just bought a genuine Viair 400C from eBay from an Aussie seller in Melbourne, from the company “AirRide.” It should be here within two weeks and I will get it fitted and let you all know how it worked out and what I think. I might even post a Youtube video of how it sounds and what my setup looks like and share the link with you guys here! :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for all your help and advice, I will be sure to check in on this forum regularly. There is some fantastic info here! :smiley:

Have you checked ARB compressors. They’re Australian and might be cheaper there.

The Viair 400C arrived earlier today. I will install it tomorrow morning and let everybody know how it went. I turned it on earlier and it is very quiet and puts out a lot of air! I have a feeling I will be very pleased with its performance! :smiley: