Hey there from California!

What’s up guys! I previously had a HB kit on my car and just placed an order yesterday for the hornblasters 540 kit, relocation air source and compressor bracket. I’m doing the install myself and had a few questions.

1. Shoukd I run a switch for the compressor or just leave it to the pressure switch to kick it on and off? (Ill be using the kit to fill tires as well)but i also want to run a switch so I can use horns on steering wheel.

2. what diagram/how to thread should I use for reference?

3. Any tips/tricks I should know to avoid leaking and lines blowing out?

Welcome to the forum from SoCal.

Definitely use an on/off switch in case something happens, like a leak or blown hose, where it might keep running.

The install section has diagrams and references. Maybe one of these guys will repost one for you.

Leaks are common at the beginning and they’ll occur with age so use a bubble solution to find them. I prefer brass fittings with teflon based pipe dope (I think these guys recommend Loctite 545). For air lines to the horns, DOT air brake tubing works well if you use really good push-to-lock tube fittings.

Welcome from the other side of the country (Pa)!!!

Space for Rent

Thanks for the info! I’ll have to check that out!

The kit will come with an instruction guide which has a schematic, but as mentioned if you search through the site you’ll also find plenty of examples here. You can also download the install manuals from here:
http://www.hornblasters.com/support/manuals_and_schematics

Thanks! I was going to use this first diagram for the installation:

But only think I don’t see on there is wher I should wire the switch for the compressor? And where it shows the toggel switch for the horns int the top right corner I was going to use this diagram. This correct?

The compressor kill switch is shown in the diagram. It is on the trigger wire between the ignition source and the relay.

Yeah, the horn button diagram you found will let you select one horn or the other. If you can, find a switch with “no center off”. Then you always have a horn.

Is that where it says trigger/switch positive (small blue)? And what is a no center off switch? Sorry for all the questions

Yea, that’s the trigger wire to the relay.
The switch being talked about is a Single Pole Dual Throw (SPDT) switch. Basically a toggle switch which acts like a gate (they have three pins). You have the incoming line on the centre pin and the two different outputs on the outer pins. So the switch directs the current to flow to either of the two lines.

^^^and when I say no center off…

Most SPDT switches have 3 positions. The center one is off - with neither circuit connected. The problem with this type of switch is that you could accidentally leave youself without either horn. That’s definately not safe.

They are harder to find but they make 2 position SPDT switches. There is no center position and you always have one of the horns available. It just takes out a possible human error.

Okay. So What I want to do is run the switched to be circular. Now would THIS option work?

looks good.

Okay great then I will order those. With this setup will it be… If the switch is off, it will be stock horn. When flipped “on” it will be both horns or will it be just the train horns? I saw on another build that a guy tapped into the horn wire as opposed to cutting it? What’s with that?

If you “tap” into the horn wire and use a plain on/off switch, both horns will sound with the switch on. Only the stock with the switch off.

With the switch you’re buying, both positions are on & separate circuits. You’ll get one horn or the other - not both.

Does it sound better if I don’t tap into it and run the spdt?

It’s a personal preference.
I would rather hear one horn at a time by using a SPDT.

Ya, I’m kind of leaning that way as well.

I still don’t see the switch or the relay? Mind circiling it for me?

Also, I’m picking up my switches tomorrow. Found a on/on SPDT switch local. For the compressor switch, will I just need a 2 prong on/off?

Ok you’re right. What I saw was where the ignition source wire is labeled. It says “Trigger Switch Positive” and I took that as the toggle switch location. Anyway, they are just labeling the wire, but that is where you would put an inline toggle switch. Somewhere between your ignition source and the pressure switch…

Yes, you would normally buy a SPST switch for that kill switch…but a SPDT does the exact same thing. Use the center prong and one of the outer prongs. The third prong would not be used. You’re only using half the switch. So either type works.

Sorry about the diagram confusion.

Got my switches mounted today. Came out great! Horns should be delivered tomorrow!