Horn for a UTV

Guys,

I need a horn to be “street legal” with my UTV since I have everything else that Idaho says I need (mirrors to see 200 feet behind you, working headlights, working marker lights, and working break lights) to be legal to drive on the road.

The only requirements are it must be heard at 200 feet, and needs to be water proof/resistant since I’ll be crossing small creeks and streams.

That being said, I was considering the 100 watt PA system with sirens, but would like it to have a “normal” horn sound.

Suggestions??

-Kris

these sound like Shockers but they are Street legal since they are Factory horns off of a Cadillac. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-4-Note-Horn-Set-ACDF-Genuine-OEM-Deville-Fleetwood-/181479484503?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a41052c57&vxp=mtr

You could try hitting up the junk yards like I did, I got lucky and found 2 sets. I have one set in my Honda and the other set in my truck. just face the horns Down ward for wether protection and you should be good to go. :wink:

Thanks man. That looks like it’ll do what I want, but I’ll check it out when I’m not at work.

They get a little poopy about looking at Amazon and eBay while at work.

-Kris

Or these! They are waterproof.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Car-Auto-Van-Truck-Motor-Vehicle-12V-Waterproof-Snail-shaped-Horn-Trumpet-Red-/280762574059?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item415ec0e4eb&vxp=mtr

If your just looking for a horn for legal purposes, look at golf cart horns, they are built to last and take abuse. Or any Good auto parts store should have OEM comparable replacement horns that will pass inspection.

Perfect, thanks man. This might be the way I’ll end up going.

-Kris

You know, laws state how far away one must be able to hear a horn … and require a horn on a vehicle. Laws also tend to state what a horn CANNOT sound like (i.e. exceeding a certain sound level, mimic’ing police/emergency vehicles, etc. – tend to be no-no’s).

With that in mind, anything not expressly forbidden is permitted (given the nature of how laws work) … provided it is of sufficient volume to be heard at the required distance. From time to time I find myself wondering why horns aren’t readily available that sound like crap no one likes to hear. You know: gunfire, a screaming kid on a plane, fingernails on a chalk board, the sound of a dental drill, or the like.

I mean you’d get the heck out of the way of a 100dB screaming kid right? I would!

Maybe you need to think outside the box a little bit. :slight_smile: