how do I install an Oasis XD4000 on my truck

I have a Toyota Tundra with the HD 150 amp alternator. What do I need to run the Oasis XD4000?

Dan will probably have a better answer, but you might get by with a GOOD replacement battery. Not sure if he would recommend an extra battery, but it would be a good idea.

1/0 wire.

If the alternator delivers 150 amps at idle then you should have plenty of power. If you can mount the compressor within 10 feet your vehicle battery then our 4 gauge cable is enough. For longer distances use a larger gauge and replace as much of red power side as possible, in other words, leave 6 to 12 inches of the red power cable and splice the larger gauge to it. Run both cables to the battery and don’t ground the compressor to the frame as copper conducts better than steel. It’s better to use an auxiliary battery next to the compressor and use the larger gauge to connect it to the vehicle battery and shorten our 4 gauge to the auxiliary battery.

Ok what gauge wire for the “larger gauge” wire? because it is a crewmax and I believe will go over the 10 ft limit. with the price of copper no I think it might be cheaper to put the compressor under the hood and run the airhose back to the bed lol

1/0 wire also called 0ga.
You don’t need the highest quality audio wire. You can use cheaper stuff or even welding cable.

For any high amp draw system, be it audio, compressor, or whatever, you should consider upgrading the ‘big 3’. There is a sticky thread about it. http://www.trainhornforums.com/showthread.php?t=4793

Welding cable FTW. You can Google prices and get a pair of 25 foot black/red cables rather cheap.

-Kris

0 gauge should be ok for about 20’. Fine strand cable, like welding, conducts better than standard battery cable. An auxiliary deep cycle battery would be better as long as it’s not an Optima.

I believe the alt. puts out 150 max. I’m not sure the Toyota place just said it was the HD 150 amp alt.

Max output is probably around 2000 rpm.

Ok is that enough to run the compressor? Or do I need a different alternator?

I’d guess that if your wanting to use the pump a lot at once you’d need a bigger alternator or a battery that can deliver the power for a while even if the alternator can’t keep up.

It’s good to get an alternator that can deliver more than enough power because an alternator at “full field” (100% load) can get hot pretty quick and if it doesn’t have a good cooling system, it might start to smell after a few minutes unless you rev up the engine to keep the alternator cool (like 3000+RPM).

I’d also be a bit concerned with the surge power required. I don’t know if the Oasis compressors have capacitors built in but you may want to put a few big car audio capacitors in between the pump and the power source.

You might be able to run the compressor with the stuff you have already, just watch the alternator temperature and monitor the battery voltage with a cigarette lighter volt meter or something.

A new or fully charged Odyssey PC2150 (AGM / group 31 / 100 AH) battery will run an Oasis compressor for 10 minutes before the voltage drops and the compressor slows down. It will continue to run slower and slower until it shuts down from low voltage. That’s without a charge to the battery.

The Sears “Platinum” group 31 battery has the same specs, cost less, and I’ve heard they’re made by Odyssey.