How Far Are You Heard?

I dont really hear people talk about this much, but do you know how far away your horns can be heard? Really? How Far?

Ive heard the K3 can be hear up to four miles away.

mine can be heard 3 miles in the city

I know I’m heard atleat a half mile away…

on my way home from work one night i did a nice long blast of my shockers about 1/2 -3/4 mile from my house and my dad told me he heard me when i got home, lol…

Sounds about right. Heck Yeah!!!

What horns do you have?

Really?

I know its cool when you got people wondering why they hear trains when they dont live near the tracks, kinda like hearing a plane when you dont live near the airport.

My K3LA was heard about 3 miles away one night but my RS-5-T was heard almost 5 miles away.

Shockers, I haven’t tested them… so I don’t know how far… now you also have to consider driving is not the same distance as “As the bird flies” because it is 1 mile driving from where I blew them one time to where my brother lives, but when you look at a map, it is about half that if it is a straight line.

I believe that!! Man that leslie is a beast. I want one of those next. Listen at me, I cant even get past the first horn. When I bought my K, the guy had a k5 and rs3L. The RS3L gave my K a run for the money. It shook the ground at 150psi. I was really impressed but my money was set on the K3.

I see what you mean.

how much did he want for the k5?

mine too lol… i don’t really know but i know that when i honk everyone look at me like wtf was that lol

You can go here and check it out… I know my horns can be heard at least 3/4 of a mile away… clear too…

my leslie RS5T will do easy 5 miles…the rs3l is way louder than a any nathan can do 4-maybe 5miles…on time in mexico i was about 13kilometers away…dont know the mileage…but people were hearing me in the next town

I can vouch that mine can be heard from 50’. but other than that, idk havent tested em

A couple of my buddies and I did some testing in the Wisconsin country flatland. 4 miles was the final with my Shockers. It took 20 seconds for the sound to get to them. This was in the dead of the night. Sounded so sick.

I dont want to miss quote but I think he sai 500. The funny thing is, the guy i bought my horn from is quoted next. lol.

Steve, I thought that was you. You said something about Settegast and the train yard near hwy 90. since I saw the king ranch at your house, and now you mentioned mexico… Sup bro? I believe you for sure. I cant imagine what the RS5T sounds like i know the RS3L you blew almost knocked my head off.

thats the longest distance I’ve ever heard a shocker to do. Great Job. I wonder if different cars give these horns a different appeal.

Shocker, the name makes me laugh.

lol

Lots of variables affect the distance: air line size, tank size, psi, mounting location, location of the listener, altitude, land or buildings between you, time of day, weather, competing sounds, etc.

My Omega AH-500 (five trumpets) on 1/8" ID air line @ 110 psi could be heard easily by indoor listeners about 1/4 mile away. My Shocker XL kit (four trumpets) on 3/8" ID air line @ 150 psi could be heard easily by indoor listenets about 0.6 mile away. Those are real-world figures based on my wife being inside the house with the doors and windows closed in the middle of the day, with our house being surrounded by 23 acres of trees and some other homes / buildings between us. A fair amount of competing noise with other vehicles, lawn mowers, wind in the trees, etc.

I now have both my Omega and Shocker horns hooked up on 1/2" ID air line @ 150 psi and they are about twice as loud as before when fired individually. The larger air line makes a HUGE difference. When fired together they are just about as loud as one horn but they have a different tone which is more complete. I haven’t tested the distance yet but I would guess it to be about 1 mile in my confitions, maybe a bit more.

Sure, I could probably hear them from a few miles away when out in the flat desert late at night with the horns facing an outdoor listener, but what is the point of measuring that? The only thing that counts to me is how far they can be heard and how loud they are to other vehicles on the road. The other drivers almost always have their windows up and some have music or cell phones going. They are in all sorts of locations: out front, beside, behind, across the median, up or down hill, etc. but rarely in a direct line of sight with my horns facing them. And when you are driving at any decent speed the horns will be louder when you are approaching the listener than when you are departing.

I get a kick out of all those videos that show how loud the horns are when fired inside a tunnel, between buildings, under a roof or cover, etc. They are entertaining but not a good way to judge the true loudness or effective distance of a horn. I tried filming my own videos but the sound is always too loud for the camera microphone when taken up close, so I am going to film some clips from about 200’ away in an open-air parking lot and see how it comes out. Then I can drive to the other side of the buildings approximately the same distance away but with obstructions and see how loud they are.

sounds like you’re hinting the only real way to measure would be to have a standard environment and measure the dBs from a certain distance

maybe

my k3 can be heard at least a mile i know. my dad said he heard it when i turned on the main street about a mile from our house