Having recently upgraded from a set of Shockers to a K3LA I had to build my own manifolds and mounting solution. I just thought I’d share some ideas and files and hope someone finds them useful down the track.
The following contains:
[li]Instructions on how to build a set of custom manifolds in case you don’t have room to mount the Nathan Airchimes on the factory manifold.[/li][/ul]
[li]Blueprints and photos for the manifolds[/li][/ul]
The idea is simply to sandwich steel or alloy plate between the horn manifold and another matching manifold block. The plate material can be a bracket or other suitable piece which is easily mounted.
Here’s a side on illustration of the basic parts and a pic to illustrate and what the end result looked like
[li]The template for the manifolds (download here)[/li][li]2 pieces of Letter size paper or Sticker sheet.[/li][li]The manifold block material. I used 10mm Delrin (Acetal Resin) but you could use a swag of other similar types including Nylon etc. I found the the Delrin to be a good balance between strength whilst not being too hard to work with.[/li][li]The mounting material which gets sandwiched between horn and the Delrin. I used 4mm Alloy plate, cut into strips.[/li][li]Depending on the thickness of the materials you choose, you may need to get some new bolts. The Nathan K horns use a 3/8" bolt.[/li][li]Quick Fit Elbows with a threaded end. I used 5/16 QF to 1/8" NPT (See footnote for an update/change)[/li][li]3/8" Drill bit[/li][li]11/32" Drill bit if you’re using the suggested elbow size (otherwise adjust to suit)[/li][li]1/8 Thread Tap[/li][li]Set of O-rings (3/4") - Optional, but highly recommended[/li][/ul]
[li]Download the template for the manifolds and print it on an adhesive sheet or paper.[/li][li]Cut out the stencil shapes and glue them to the Delrin as well as the alloy plate.[/li][li]Drill all required holes before cutting the manifold shape. The outside mounting holes which go through from the horn side to the block are 3/8". [/li]
If you’re using the 1/8" NPT elbows, drill a 11/32" hole for the air line fitting and then thread the hole with the tap.
[li]Now cut the outside shape of the stencil. This isn’t really crucial but it will match the same pattern as the horn. [/li]
[li]Note that the Airchimes have an O-ring around the manifold. You can replicate this on the Derlin block as well by using a hole saw or a dremel to cut an O-ring groove. If you’re using the Delrin again, this isn’t absolutely crucial since there is some flex in the material and when the bolts get tightened I found on an early version I got a perfect seal without using O-rings. [/li]
Here’s the finished article ready for mounting:
[li]Mount the alloy strips or brackets, then mount the horn from one side and the Delrin manifold block from the other. Tighten all bolts and hey presto you’re done![/li][/ol]
As I said, nothing fancy, but it works real well and I hope that at least the stencil will come in useful.
[UPDATE] Since making these, I have made some changes to go to a 1/4" NPT swivel to 1/2" push fit. I think it’s definitely worthwhile to run 1/2" line up to the horns to get them enough air unless you’re running very short lengths of 5/16" air line. The restriction right at the throat won’t be a problem since the air intake on the Airchime is much smaller still. Example install: