I have become the victim of "One Compressor Not shutting off"

I have become the victim of “One Compressor Not shutting off”. so Today I replaced both relays that power my compressors.

Heres one of the old relays.

here are the new relays. :smiley:

Since I was thinking about it as I was wandering around in the shed to find a bracket to keep the horns secure I came across some Plumbers tape :smiley:

I installed the Shortest Shocker Trumpet and yes I used plumbers tape :smiley:

If you become the Victim of “One Compressor Not Shutting off” Don’t Fret, its a simple yet cheap fix. Relays Only cost me $4.00 From Radio shack. :wink:

Don’t usually fail to close instead of getting stuck that way?

To stop the compressor that wasn’t shutting off when I turned the truck off or turned off the kill switch I had to pull the fuse out for it and leave it out. When I would re insert the fuse the compressor would turn on and keep going even with the switch off and the engine not running ( I have it wired to my Ignition On). Once the relays were replaced The Problem was resolved.

Make sure those relays stay nice and dry because by looks of how you have them mounted (horizontal), there’s a chance they can have moisture trickle into them. Those relay types are weather proof but not water proof. They must be mounted top down (i.e. contacts pointing down) to prevent water ingress. Once internal corrosion takes hold it can be the spring loaded mechanism on the coil side which gums up and fails to release the contacts.

what he said. Washed my car one day, and when i was drying it I noticed a little high pitched whine. Poped the hood and took me a second to pin point what it was. Some water got into the relay and it was letting through a little power but not enough to fully turn over.

Thanks for the help guys! I guess thats what I get for letting a shop install my air system for me 3 years ago. Well, The relays lasted 3 years like that. weird. I might take them down and mount them on a Elbow Bracket of some sort so the contacts are facing down.

Why not replace it with a sealed, waterproof relay such as this?
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/10556/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710543874&catargetid=1784155608&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CISSpuyVv7YCFQvNnAodayEAsA

Nice! :smiley: Might consider that in a bit.