i just want air at the track!

Hey guys,
I have a 05 F350 with a 5 gallon tank, 280c compressor and a set of grand general horns that I use to tow our race cars with.
I need to have on board air at the track to blow filters out, put a couple pounds of air in a tire…just small stuff.
So off the output end of my tank after the pressure switch I installed a T-fitting and then threaded in a quick connect for a new air hose. That part works great, but I’m not getting more than a weak puff of air out of this setup.
My compressor was bought used, it runs forever after only sitting overnight and seems like it is weak. Can you rebuild them? A buddy has the same compressor and his sounds a lot stronger.
Should I have the air chuck quick connect before the pressure switch? I don’t have a pressure gauge on the tank but my horns always sound real strong.
Should I just scrap that compressor and get a 450c?

Sorry for long post.

Ehhh after looking around I’m liking the idea of a new 444c…

So the compressor runs until the pressure switch shuts it off? Just takes a long time?
It would help to know the actual tank pressure just to be sure.

But anyway, I can’t think why a tee would matter to a quick coupler. The pressure switch isn’t somehow blocking the quick coupler is it? Do you have a picture?

I’m going to install another T tomorrow to install a gauge. Yes the pump takes forever! I have a 30 minute ride to work and it will run the whole time after only being parked 7 hours. Lines don’t leak but I think the compressor leaks back.
I’m on my phone or I would upload pictures.
Thanks

I’ve got my finger on the PayPal button to order a 444c with new pressure switch for 170 shipped…

Ok your weak compressor might be one problem, but the weak air out of the quick coupler might be another problem.

I’m going to swap out that coupling and see if its better and install a shut off valve before the coupling.
What’s your thought on the 444c? Do I have better comparable options?

Sounds like a good deal - especially with the pressure switch.

The 444 is definitely your better option, although consider all your choices and go for something that suits your budget. Here’s a comparison if you haven’t come across it yet.

I reckon first priority though would be to figure out where your leak is - because it doesn’t sound like a small one either.

Have you done a check on all your fittings with soapy water?
Leak-back through the compressor you’ll be able to pick up if you connect a hose to the compressor suction inlet - let the system pressurize for a minute, turn everything off and then hold the end of that hose into a small reservoir of water. If you get bubbles your check valve is busted.

I ordered the 444c single with new pressure sensor, and I have a new horn solenoid to ensure that’s not leaking. I’m also plumbing in a pressure gauge and shut off valve for the quick connect. I found the regulator I’m going to use to bring the 190 down to 120 or so for the horns.
My air lines are just on barbed 1/4 inch fittings with good worm drive hose clamps that seem to seal very well considering they were a epic Bit** to get on. So should I use a different hose connection setup?

Haha wait til you try and take one off!

I used hose barbs for a while and don’t remember them leaking. I had plenty of other leaks though. I used 2 WD hose clamps per barb… All you can do is test with soapy water and look for bubbles.

Sounds like you’ll have a nice/new/functional system.

Thanks ! Should be a lot better than what I currently have. Hope my 280 is still good so I can install horns on the girlfriends car.
Now I just need some Nathans :slight_smile:

The 444 is installed! I love it! Its a lot quieter than the 280, and fill the 5 gallon tank to 180 in just 9 minutes and 27 seconds. 30 more PSI and its over 30 minutes faster than the 280.
Still got a small leak tho. Could the horn solenoid be stuck open just a hair causing a leak?

Sounds like an upgrade was definitely in order!

It is possible for any of the components to leak. I would start with soapy water on all the fittings. If you still suspect the valve, you can disconnect the outgoing airline from the valve use soapy water over the open port.

So I confirmed its the horn solenoid, I can hear it leaking thru the trumpets. I’ve got another solenoid I’ll swap in tomorrow.

I shudder to think how you picked that up. :eek: That must’ve been a scary moment putting your ear drum right next to the horn.

^^ What he said! I remember sitting about a foot away from my K3’s Whilst installing them & an old mate of mine thinking how funny it would be to give the K3’s a cheeky blast! (:eek:It was infact not at all funny!!):mad: