Just got on here!

Hi everybody, my name’s Ger and I am in Sunny southern California, where the smog hits the pavement with a loud clang! A few years back I had a loud truck horn mounted on my Escape. The whole thing was mounted on the roof, in a diamond plate box, within a rack. The wires came down thru the back and hooked to power with switches in the cab to shut off the pressure switch that controlled keeping the tank full of air, the solenoid to open the horn and the button for the horn. I had to have that switch for the pressure thing because after a day and night of cycling the air, it would drain my battery. (First hand experience, the hard way!) Since I no longer have this truck and have updated to a Nissan Altima, and I hope to install a newer version of what I had (time and the elements wore it out) and keep it in the trunk with the hose fed thru the trunk, door sills, up thru the kick plate and into the fender and on into the engine and down in front of the radiator, pointed down. This would seem to work in theory and I have a Steblier Nautilas horn in place right now replacing the silly Nissan stock horn. Not as loud, but it will suffice for now. What I want is not exactly a TRAIN horn, but a TRUCK horn, one of those hairy-legged stinky-footed horns that sound like a 50,000 pound 18 wheeler with a load of hogs on a downhill runaway. I’m sure some of you have ideas and can give me a few hints here and there, so I’ll shut up and listen!

SEEE ya!

If you’re looking for truck horns, Air Horn of Texas sells pretty much every model of Grover horn, but just not branded as Grover. The 30 inch model sounds the most like a huge 18-wheeler, but you can go even longer and get a 37" horn to sound like a Disney Monorail.

Welcome to the forum from a native SoCal neighbor. Have you tried posting this on the horn & whistle board or browsed the internet for truck air horns?

Danh - oh absolutely, I have checked EVERYONE on the internet that sells air horns. I have come down to prefer the longer length and deeper sound that stutterer air horns have on Emergency vehicles, or even a Disneyland Monorail horn. So I believe if I purchase a Hadley or Grover type horn with a long length I will get the deep sound I desire, do you agree?

Yes! The Monorail horns are 34" and 37". I linked to both of them.

I’m not that familiar with horns, I mostly help with air compressor questions, but if I remember correctly and IMO the Monorail was closer to a train horn. I like a well tuned train horn over a harsh raspy truck horn and they can get your attention just as well.

Hello! I was just down in Los Angeles Yesterday lol! anyway, as for a truck horn grovers sound pretty good, I own both a Grover 1045 and 1042 a 30 inch and 25 inch, I gotta say I LOVE the sound they make. right now, I am awaiting for a kit from Real Trainhorns to ship so I can mount my K3’s onto my Accord. You got me thinking of putting the grovers on as well. personally, I loved using a 1/2 inch air line and valve for the Grovers which made them sound nice and crisp and loud with no extra air pressure.

Hello and welcome!