K3LA (Individual) Dimensions

New poster here but I’ve been reading a lot on the forums and man, there’s a bunch of great insight here. A buddy of mine introduced me to the world of vehicle mounted train horns a few weeks ago (he’s got the Shockers) and now I think I’m obsesed - what is it about these things anyway?!? If I’m sick and twisted, then at least I know I’m not the only one…

I’m leaning towards a K3LA install in my '08 F250 PSD FX4 4DR and I think I can get them squeezed inside the frame rail between the fuel tank and transfer case, but only if I take them off the manifold and stagger them to shave a little width. But since it’s so close, I was hoping somebody could help me some dimensions before I dropped the cash:

1. Stock assembly (on manifold): The HB website has them listed as 16.25" W X 18.25" L, but the HB Ebay ad has them reversed. Which is it?

2. Horn base diameter (diaphragm housing) - I guess all three are the same since the parts are interchangable, right?

3. Horn bell diameter and overall length of each horn.

4. Horn body diameter at its narrowest point (right before the diaphragm housing). This will help me with the stagger calculations.

5. K3L - Canadian tune - are the dimensions different than the K3LA? I know they’re different horns, so maybe different dimensions - or maybe it’s not close enough to make a difference.

I know that’s a tall order, but I would be most appreciative for the help! My truck is bone stock (not lifted) and I’m not willing to sacrifice my spare tire for the install. I don’t weld, own a machine shop, or want to put a bunch of holes in my truck frame. I plan on doing the install in my driveway with basic tools and parts I can pick up at my local hardware and auto parts store. I mean, why make it easy, right?!?

I have a K3HA, I can measure the bells tomorrow morning if you’d like

I drew the bells in AutoCAD. I would have to check the throat OD. All I have right now is the JPG of the drawing. I don’t have a K3 manifold to measure, but this will get you started.

Note that dimensions should be within 1/16".

http://www.microprecisiongroup.com/shop/

click on the link, then click on the specific horn. and it tells your dimensions on the page

Thanks for the help everybody! Ear - looks like you’ve got a K5 - which 3 make up the K3? Also, if you’re willing to part with the .dwg file that would totally hook me up!

A k3 Canadian is bell #'rs 1, 2, and 3. The K3la is bell #'rs 1, 2, and 4a

No problem - the CAD file is at work. So I can send it Monday.
I think you need 10 posts to send me a PM with your email. So maybe post your email monday morning. As soon as I send it, edit your post to remove your email.

Cumminshunter posted the K3 bells for you.
FYI 3 and 3A measure the same & 4 and 4A measure the same.

What version of AutoCAD? I can Saveas… earlier version even dxf

I’m running AutoCad LT 2011. I’ll shoot you an email with mine and see if that works.

Got it. I’ll send it tomorrow.

sent

Got it - thanks a ton!

Can somebody please confirm the exact diameter of the #1 horn? Im going off of 7.75…

I made the drawing above and would say the dimensions are within 1/16" or so.

Is it possible I can get the CAD file for the horn? I can try to draw up the bells from your dimensions but if they’res a CAD file already, would make my life easier. Need to 3D print a 1:87 scale model of a K5LA to put on a cabcar, would be cool to try to 3D print it.

Thanks,
-Greg

Send me your email. I don’t think you can PM, so email me.

Tell me your email and what version of CAD you have.

1 Like

/email removed/ (E2E)

I have Auto Desk CAD 2014, and Auto Desk Inventor 2015 Professional.

Thanks

Sent & email removed

I know its a little late, but is there any chance you still have the CAD file?