K3's on my Cummins Dodge

Originally bought this set way back around 2002 or so. I originally had them installed in a 2001 GMC Duramax. Traded that truck in on the new (at the time) 2004 Dodge Cummins.

Instead of a compressor I opted for a full size nitrogen cylinder. Also using a Graham White real valve.

Horn had been on the Dodge for 10 years… underneath in the northeast weather. Last year I noticed it wasn’t sound well. Crawled under the truck and found that it was corroding apart. Sent it out to a repair expert who restored it. I then painted it myself with a white aluminum primer and hammered metal spray paint.

This time when I bolted it together I used Tef-Gel marine anti corrosion lubricant in excessive amounts.

Some pics… More coming

After paint

Reconfigured to fit under my truck

Welcome to the forum. Sweeeeet truck and nice install! Thanks for the pics.

Welcome - Great setup and a mean looking beast of a truck!

There’s not too many good compressed gas installs floating around due to the problems with cooling/freezing, flow rates etc. - so here come some questions ;):

How have you got the Nitrogen flowing from the tank to the GW … is it straight through via the regulator or going to a header tank first?
Any indication on problems with freezing and what type of flow rates you’re getting?

Very nice install. I use a similar type of setup on my 97 Dodge Ram short bed.

By the way, no freezing issues with nitrogen unless you try to drain your tank in one honk.

Thanks all. Even though I am set on this forum for instant notification on my subscribed threads, I get no notifications.

I have never measured flow. You MUST have a regulator on the tank. I usually run it at about 120 PSI. Any more and they scream a bit too much for me. Also if the pressure is set too high I don’t have enough valve modulation. Trust me, with 2000+ psi behind that regulator, there are no volume issues.

Air line goes from the tank regulator to the valve in the cab. From the valve it goes back to the horn. Pretty simple. Yes there is pressure in the cab where the line comes up through the 4x4 shift lever console. There is a safety issue in that if I developed a leak in the cab it could deplete the oxygen. The lines coming into the cab are about 10" long in each direction before exiting. And I used good Parker hose. A leak bad enough to deplete the oxygen would be loud enough to hear. Also the cab is not airtight. From all of the accessories I’ve installed… gauges and whatnot, there is plenty of airflow… especially when running down the road. Been using this setup for over 12 years now. No issues except one line rubbed through while touching the front driveshaft underneath. I had enough extra loop that I was able to pull more up into the cab and cut that bad part off.
One more safety issue is the tank. It’s a missle :eek:

BTW the nice thing about that valve where it is … It’s exactly at relaxed arms length to the right of my knee.