Leader hoses = hot?

Still hooking up my 480c setup, Putting the compressor and pressure switch inside my trucks metal storage box, have holes drilled through it and through the side of the truck box to where the air tank is.

Read on another thread the leader hoses get hot? I was planning on putting a rubber grommet to seal the hole in the storage box and the truck box.

Is there any issues doing this? How hot do they get?

Thanks!

The longer a compressor runs, the hotter it gets. I’m not sure about Viair, AZ, or any others but an Oasis XD3000 can reach 350F in about 20 minutes. That’s long enough for it to fill a 100 gallon tank to 150 PSI.

Hmmm. That sounds about right for one of these:

So about 10" from the compressor head, would I have issues with a rubber grommet around the hose? (Just want to seal the box well from 4,6,8 and more legged creatures crawling around…) :wink:

I would be tempted to try it and keep a real close eye on it until you know it’s ok.
I checked McMaster Carr - they do list a few sizes of high temp grommets good for 450 F.

Thanks! Never thought about high temp ones… Worse case, I am sure I could plug the holes with hi temp engine sillicone.

You might want to do something about cooling the compressor, either a heatsink for the compressor via the metal case(how I don’t know) or a 12V fan, maybe zip tied to the compressor, maybe a delta tfb1212ghe and wired to the power that the compressor gets.

LOL…20 minutes would be just the preheat time

Id use high temp silicone if your worried about it. But you shouldnt be drilling the hole much larger than whatever going thru it…

The truck box is a delta checkered plate aluminum, and had to make the holes big enough for the leader hose to fit through it and then through the side of the truck box.

Made them a bit larger due to didnt want the hoses to chafe…

Think I will try out the Hi Temp silicone :slight_smile:

Use a high temp rated silicon bushing and you’ll be set.
Or, just don’t worry about it because by the time you get further down the hose - the heat generated will be negligible.