Max volts/amps needed to open electronic valve

I own a pair of Dodge trucks; an '08 Dodge Ram 3500 QC longbed with the Cummins 6.7L engine and the 6 speed manual, and an '06 2500 QCSB with the Cummins 5.9L and the 48RE auto. This mod was initially going to be used to engage the starter for both trucks, but since I’m putting horns in my '08 I decided to hide my horns and horn button.

I’m not sure if anyone has seen this, but on the Dodge SRT10 truck and the Viper there is a big red “START” button on the dash. I’m going to remove the cigarette lighter and replace it with this button, but what I need to know is what kind of draw does an electric valve require.

Anyways, what am I looking at for amp draw? Obviously I want a good switch, and since this is a highly tested switch I don’t want to worry about one going bad and I want it to look slick, too.

Thanks.

Kris

the valve requires very little… something like milliamps, or so i’ve heard

Perfect. Thanks for the info.

Now if I ever have it in the shop the mechanic will scare himself.

Kris

if you have a multimeter, you can run 12V across the coils and measure the current. should not be more than 5amps. depending on the size of your solenoid.

The electric valve draws 4.5 amps… atleast the 1/2" valve does. According to the MFG specs.

Thanks for the info folks. Since the button is used to engage the starter, 5 amps is nothing. Time to start buying some stuff … heheheheheheheh.

Kris

chances are that button is connected to a relay. its doubtful that there are 100+ amps going through that switch. that is also how i would hook up this switch. because if you fry it, chances are the dealership is going to want an arm and a leg for a new one.

Ordered from the dealer, $28 for the button.

It’s the same button used in the Viper to start the engine, and since it’s just engaging the starter remotely there is hardly any current run through it.

Kris

I agree with 5amps being nothing but on the SRT10 or any car with pushbutton start, the start button is not wired directly to the starter, its wired to a relay or solenoid to engage that starter. Just thought I would point that out. The switch should work fine for your application.