meets-ups in the states

so I keep seeing youtube vids and reading about meet-ups and tunnel runs and such that stinky does in the UK - why don’t we do anything like that in the states? Some coordinated hornblasting would be awesome, just saying.:cool:

I have to agree with you! You guys have more Horns over there! I’m working on a HornBlasting Tunnel run to top all tunnel Runs!:wink: If it comes off is another matter.

Man, I would have a Blast! :smiley: Pun Intended! :smiley:

Sadly, the United States isn’t an easy ~11.5 hour drive from one end to the other (across its longest side - basically from Berwick-on-Tweed to Land’s End. I didn’t include Scotland or Wales since they’re not technically ‘Britain’). The U.S.A. has states that take longer to drive across on their longest sides – and some states which you can’t drive from (Hawaii, anyone?). If we had only Britain’s land mass to deal with, arranging meet-ups would be … trivial. :slight_smile:

According to the U.S. National Geodetic Survey, the geographical center of the continental U.S.A. is in Lebanon, Kansas. The closest major city to it is Kansas City, KS. Anyone want to drive there (and back) from say, CA, VA, TX, MI, MA, FL, etc. for a meet-up? I figure the answer is probably ‘Are you crazy?!’ because it’s what I’d say … but I threw it out there to underscore the 2000+ mile round trip problem those not conveniently local to the area would face.

And, sadly, we’re few enough in numbers, overall, that localized mini-meets in select portions of the country probably wouldn’t see too many attendees. This probably makes it best for individuals to connect because they want to, themselves, inform others they’re doing so (time and place), and encourage/accept other attendees if they are inclined to make the trip.

I mention these things because a truck forum I hung out on for a long, long while (with a very tight core user base) tried to do sponsored localized mini-meets and they flopped (1-2 users, tops, showed up). However, independently arranged local meets among the core community members (who then publicized on the forum their planned meet place time) saw success (defined as: 3 core members meeting in an area, with 4-5 more joining from 1-3 hours away) in areas where the user-base was dense enough.

Food for thought…

Indeed it is, well, If I ever win the Lottery I am having my truck shipped over to the UK where Stinky is and I will then join him in the Tunnel Runs! :smiley: Its on my Bucket list. Thats if I were to win the lottery but I can at least dream can I?

Yup - I’ll do it!

i’d be willing to drive a good distance to meet up somewhere, but I may be the minority here :slight_smile:

you’re right though, while we have a LOT more horns here in the states, they’re much more spread out.

I read about gatherings on the hornwhistleboard forum, one in particular is in Laurel, PA. Be aware - they are very much against scare tactics.

Sounds like they’re very judgmental. If that’s true, it also sounds like I don’t need to hang around with them…

They can be judgmental but they’re experts about horns, whistles, and sirens. They’re also very helpful when shown a little respect.

I get it. That’s what makes the world go 'round…

…and if we were to meet in KC we shouldn’t totally terrorize the town…much.

Seriously though, hopefully we could find a place off the beaten path.

There are quite a few “characters” over there. But they do know their horns, so to speak.