Multimeter - how to.... need one

I finally bought my first multimeter. Only problem is, i cant figure out how to really use it and now sure what its limitations are…

The unit i bought is a ACTRON CP7672

So far as you can see by picture i think i figured out which plugs to put the test cables in… according to the instructions. The black always goes into com, (common) and the red i wanns say will go into V … mA most of time for 12v vehicle work?? im guessing 10ADC wont be used much?

So im hoping someone could teach me a little about this thing. My main reason i bought it is to try and figure out what is wrong with my remote start on my truck. Everytime i go on a electrical forum asking , i always get the " take a multimeter and see if it has power".

So in general need explanation on use for a vehicle 12v system.

Thanx in advance…

i could explain it over and over but for me it was a trial and error learning process…heres a video i saw a yr or two ago it should help you get started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzjMIcER4EU

thanx, that helped a little…

nice meter what r u trying to do w it?

My main reason i bought it is to try and figure out what is wrong with my remote start on my truck. Everytime i go on a electrical forum asking , i always get the " take a multimeter and see if it has power".

besides that i want to be able to check for power when istalling my compressor , remote turn on’s , etc…

ok in order to check power…ur goin to turn the knob to dcv20 or 200 and that will tell u how many volts u have or if u have ppower or not.

to check ohms… go to this: depending on ur speaker or whatever u are testing. it should be on like 20 or 200…

thats the basic stuff…

One thing to take n consideration on a DMM is what are you going to use it for. On yours there is DC= Direct current, Ac voltage = Alterating current, 24volts ac to 480 3 phase and up. I.E residential electric, controls work comercial electric etc. You also have an Ohm scale that be used to check if a switch is open or closed. to check out resisters etc. You had a capacitence scale for capacitors. DC amperage to check what amp draw you are drawling like on a alternator, A fused 12v supply wire, the amp draw on your compressor! You also have a DC milivolt scale also. The port that has no test lead plugged into it is for A clamp on amperage probe that clamps around the wired to read it amp draw. You have to also becareful of using the ohm meter. it will send a small electrical signal thru the wire. And it can burn things up. Never use a ohm setting on a live wire. It can fry your meter and the fuse inside. Best bet is to go to radio shack or library etc and get a book on using a mulit meter. if your not sure. You can get fucked up pretty quick. or burn something up. If you need help. Don’t hesitate to ask.

Good Luck,

John

for checking power on 12v put the dial on 20 DCV, i have the same multimeter