My new (to me) 2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Hy-Railer

Since this will be my first post, I will go off with a bang and show you my new Hy-railer toy I bought recently, got this 2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Hy-railer from North MS rail, LLC in Fulton, MS. These pics were taken after I got it back to the house in DeFuniak Springs, FL on 18 April 2011.

The stars have aligned on this one, I have been searching for a Hy-railer for 3 years, and the day I was delivering a load before I went to the house for home time a similar Hy-railer showed up on www.railswap.com so I looked into it, but it sold before I could get it, but I found out “The ONE” was hiding in the wings and wasn’t scheduled to be listed until a month later, the Owner of North MS rail, LLC was very accomidating and got this truck ready for me pretty quick and I bought it before he even took any pics of it.

It has power everything in it, which he said was kind of rare for a Class 1 railroad truck, 6.0L V8, 4x4, Rhino bedliner, LED turn signals in the rear view mirrors, it didn’t come with the tool box across the bed, so he put one on it for me, ditch lights front and rear, it already has a 2-chime horn behind the grill that needs work to get it operating correctly, you can see it in the first pic on the right hand side of the grill, and the running boards used to be some nasty home built crap, so he took it off and put brand new nerf bar type running boards, tinted windows all around, 19.5" Accuride wheels, it has Rafna R290 powered railgear. It has over 222,000 miles on it but I don’t care, if it breaks down, so be it, I still have my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd with only 29,000 miles on it lol.

It is an Ex Norfolk Southern pickup also. I moved the truck around for each shot, so each side is on the sunny side. I also installed my fake coupler in the reciever hitch lol.

And here is my Nathan K5LA that I want to install on this rig, I thought about painting the outside of the horn white, and the inside of the bells black, so it’ll be color coordinated with the truck, may just have it on there as a static display, or have it hooked up for the railspeeder events. I already have a new graham white valve, and want to get an Oasis compressor.

Sweet! I always honk at those rail trucks…

Welcome! Unique truck, but what do you plan to do with it? I mean you can’t drive it on the rails, can you?

I plan to go on rail speeder excursions with it, and its my daily driver/railfanning rig.

Ok dumb question, what is a rail speeder excursion?

Its this:

http://www.railspeeders.com/ and this http://narcoa.org/

Pretty cool stuff. I didn’t know you could do that.

Its cool, but I don’t know if I will be able to use my K5 on these railspeeder events when going through railroad crossings, I hope I will be able to LOL I also won an E-Bell on ebay the other day, so I’ll have that on the truck as well.

Heres the railgear in the down position.

Thats the best looking 222,000 mi truck ive seen! K5LA’s FTW!

wow loving the truck,i want the railgear LOL

Earlier today I ordered a GO Industries Flat Iron headache rack to mount my K5 on, and I will also mount a pair of amber strobes on either side of the horn, because NARCOA requires 360 degree view of the strobe light when running down the track and the horn will block part of the view of just one strobe light so I will need to get two and mount on either side of the horn.

Can you imagine me with a set rail gear on my car going on the London underground…

Thats an awesome looking ride, just sometimes I wish I lived in America. lol lol

How far do you go on these Rail speeder excursions?

I saw your post over on Adams site, nice ride you got there.

Thanks Dirty Jersey.

As for the length of the rail speeder excursions, it all depends, they can go from 20 miles to 50 miles round trip to 150 miles round trip per day, they usually are held on the weekends, 2 days of riding the rails, it all depends on the host railroad that is allowing these events to happen. There is an 8 day excursion in Montana that I would absolutely love to go on.

that is fn bad a$$!! how much those rail cost if u dont mind

Not following what your asking :confused:

how much did it cost to put that stuff on your truck…

I bought the truck as you see it, Norfolk Southern bought it new and put the railgear on it, and then got rid of it recently, I didn’t do anything to it yet :smiley: I bought it for $12,500.

Oh sweet… can u ride on tracks freely whenever u want?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk