My second "rig"

This was my second ‘rig’, a tandem axle GMC flat bed lumber dump truck, photo in 1984. It was air-brake equipped, thus had the DOT-mandated dual air systems. I knew better than to use the main, since one blow on the M5 horn would lock the brakes up, not a good thing if driving in traffic. I added a 30 gallon long tank along side the air brake tanks, and hooked it into the auxiliary for horn honking fun. I could tell you many amusing stories of scaring people and animals back in the day.

Horn is an Ex Southern Crescent E8 M5 with documentation, and is terrifying 5/16", the most powerful of any train horn on earth. Of course I used 3/4" ID airline and fittings from the auxiliary tank to enter the side-rear of the cab to the Viloco AW206 chime valve on the cab ceiling, which was piped directly to the horn on the roof above it. Instant response, no matter what horn used. 1/2" brass pipe from valve to horn was only 2" long…Instant blast!

Again, these pictures were taken using my trusty old Polaroid Land camera, yes it had the bellows lens and all those good things, but the pictures have deteriorated since then, so all Polaroid photos have been scanned and digitized for preservation.