Nathan euro install - advice please!

Hi everyone. Am new to this so any help would be appreciated as I am a complete noob! I’ve decided to install some train horns in my car (seat Ibiza)
So far I’ve bought two horns, two single tone Nathan Airchime CS range horns from the UK dealer for Nathan. I’ve also bought a 25l 5 gallon air tank from a Daf truck and yesterday ordered a Viair 400c compressor and pressure switch (100psi on/145psi off)
I have a few basic questions which I could do with some advice on please!

• does it matter what size (girth) air hose I use going from the tank to the horns and will this affect the sound or volume?
• the horns arrived with no connectors or anything but the entry to the horns had a thread type hole. What attachment would I need to connect the air line to the horns?
• my air tank has several ports on it, would it be best to attach two air lines from the tank to the horns or one line and a T type attachment into two further down the air line, or does is not matter?
• the air tank and compressor will be in the boot/trunk of my car and the horns will be under the spare wheel well of the car under the boot. Is it best to have the horns facing to the side/backwards so that no dirt etc accumulates in them?
• as the tank/compressor and horns will be in the back of my car, is it best to use solenoids to trigger my horns as I want to trigger them from the front of my car. Is there anything I need to know about what solenoids to choose?
•I would like a pressure gauge installed in the front of the car on the dashboard somewhere, is it possible to fit a pressure gauge at the front of the car without having to run air lines to the front? As in an electric pressure gauge?

Thanks allot in advance for any advice! Will post pics and vids as soon as its all up and running! Carl

I’d highly recommend 1/2" hose.

Push-to-pull fittings. Simply seal the threads with teflon and install into the tank/horn, and the hose will slip into the fitting and stay there. Hornblasters.com has them, as do several other sources.

You need a valve or some kind of control between the horns and the air tank. IMO I’d stay away from any “T” fitting if possible. Since you don’t have a manifold to utilize just one feed line, maybe some of the other guys can recommend the best setup for feed your horns.

Heard mixed opinions all this. I’ve always had my Nathan P3’s sitting level, and facing to one side. I’ve been running my horns for about 3 years now, flawless.

You first need to decide the best routing for your air supply, as previously discussed. Hopefully you’ll get some opinions on best setup soon from the other fellas. Just be sure to match the solenoid you choose with the diameter hose. This is one component I definitely didn’t want to cheap out on, and it has paid off so far with taking that route. I have a 1/2" SMC nickle plated valve for my setup.

Yes. Hornblasters has a couple to choose from. Obviously they are going to be much more expensive than a mechanical gauge, but its worth it for a piece of mind as to how your system is doing.

Hope that helps.

^^^ I agree with all that.

I’m not familiar with the Nathan single horns or what thread is on their bases.
Hopefully your tank has at least one port that’s 1/2" NPT.
I agree with the 1/2" O.D. tubing and 1/2" NPT solenoid valve.
If you only want 1 valve for the 2 horns, you’ll need to split the line after the valve.
I would personally use a 1/2" NPT tee. With all 1/2" stuff and only 2 horns, it’s not going to choke them.

I agree with the 1/2" tubing. The horns will not flow any more than what that type of tubing can provide.

I would suggest a single line out, to a solenoid, then from there to a T or a 3 port manifold and then to the horns. Keep in mind the number of ports you have on your tank. You’ll need 5 as minimum:

1. Compressor line into tank
  2. Outflow to horns
  3. Pressure switch
  4. Drain tap
  5. Safety valve
  6. (Optional) For your pressure gauge or electronic sender

If you’re unsure about fittings and thread sizes, go find a local fittings supply shop so you can show the threads, have them measured and get the right bits first time, otherwise you could find yourself wasting some money on the wrong bits. Truck parts or maintenance workshops tend to also keep a good supply of air fittings.

I’m guessing you’re based in the UK, so make sure you find someone who deal with both BSPT and NPT thread types. Seeing that your tank is from a DAF, I’m guessing it’ll have BSPT. The Nathans (being US made) will have NPT. Get in touch with Stinky Pete on this forum… as he’s based in the UK. He might be able to offer clues on who the good suppliers for fittings are in your area.

Hey Carl! all sorted :smiley: 2 x nice 1/2 solenoid valves sent:D