Need Help

If any of you are also Model Railroaders you will recognize my user name a a producer of scale model train detail parts in brass. We are expanding our line up of HO and O scale locomotive air horns in brass using the latest in 3D drawing design and Resin 3D printing to create masters to be tranfers in to brass via lost wax casting. Now to the part we hope members of this forum can help with - We need photographs detailing the dimensions of the individual horns(trumpets) and the various mounting brackets. For the horns we are looking for over all length, mouth width, Body diameter, Diaphragm width and thickness, For the various mounting brackets pictures of the brackets with out the horns mounted would be best but can use any photos. Dimensions are best shown by placing a ruler or tape measure next to- along side or in front of the feature and taking a straight on photo of the item.
We are looking for this data on any
Nathan H J K P or M series
Leslie A D L S and RS series
Wabco A B and E
Prime PM series
Hancock Any
All mounting bracket styles

Any help getting this data would be greatly appreciated !

Well, hornwhistleboard.com used to be the place, but it’s down and unknown whether it will come back up. In the interim, someone else set up horn-whistle-board.com and most of the collector type guys and actual railroad buffs stay in one of those 2 places.

Thanks we will check them out as well!

Welcome to the forum. We may not have the horn expertise of those other forums but we have very knowledgeable people with decent resources.

I look forward to seeing what help your member are willing or able to provide.

When you say “mounting brackets” do you mean the actual manifolds like this?

Yes, that is what referred to incorrectly as a bracket. If you could take a few photos of that with a tape measure showing distances across the flat surfaces to the major intersections that would be very helpful. Mostly I would need the distance across the top Bar, Center Bar, Length of the angled sides, the width of the top and center, over all height and width of the base. I can extrapolate the rest since casting limits won’t allow full detailed reproduction in that small of scale.

I’m also looking for the manifold for the S / RS series Leslie’s for an upcoming project

Specifically for the S/RS 3 type

I can send you a 2d drawing of the individual K bells.
Send me your email and what CAD version you are running.

I’ll take some measurements from my RS3 & RS5 and post it over the weekend.

eartoear - Thanks for the offer.
We use Auto Desk Inventor the drawings are .aim and .apt extensions.
You can send what you have to /email removed/

DBO - The RS series it definitively something we need for a current project. We could really use that information.

OK… here you go. It’s a bit rushed, but there’s 4 pages of photos and dimensions in the following PDF download.

AutoCAD 2D file sent.
Email removed.

ear2ear - Thanks for the drawings. These will work great for the K series and, I am guessing but, it looks like the P series is the same but with a differing diaphragm cover plate that is flat. Do you know if that is correct? If not do you know what other differences they have?

DBO -Thanks for the photos with the dimensions, these are going to be a huge help in drawing these in scale.
Can you get me one more dimension? I need the diameter of the trumpet tube at the base just before the mounting part to the manifold. Where it is still just a round tube. They appear to all be the same diameter. I need that measurement to ensure I get a correct appearing taper to the tubes when I draw them.

I put that dimension under the table for the trumpets ;). It’s 45mm

You’re welcome.

There are some differences with the P series - just looking at pictures. I’ve never had a P series. One thing is the raised rectangular area on the side of each bell.

Have you had any time to get measurements for the RS3 Manifold?