Need input and pointers

I just joined this forum tonight. I plan on installing K’5 on my Chevy Avalanche. I’ve never attempted this before so I’m wide open to any advice on the best type of compressors and tanks to buy and what might be the best way to mount them and get it all up and running.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

( SD70Ace )

Welcome. Check the air compressor kits from Hornblasters. The K5’s will need at least a 5 gallon tank for a good honk. To blow the horns a lot, fill your truck tires faster, and run air tools, I suggest getting an Oasis air compressor but I’m biased…:rolleyes:

I’m not sure what your budget is, but if you’re starting off with a K5 then I’m assuming you’ll have some reasonable cash to throw at it. I only mention it because you should allocate a good chunk of your budget to the air supply system because it’s the hardest working component. As mentioned, five gallon is your minimum starting size, but consider going larger because nothing consumes air like a K5.

Work out whether you want a 150psi or 200psi system because going to the higher pressure means you’ll have more expensive parts (i.e. Tanks, fittings, potentially a regulator etc.).

1/2" line is a must, so get your fittings and solenoid to suit to ensure you’re not running any restrictions.

I would only look at constant duty compressors because the system will be working hard when you have 5 gallons or more to fill. Quality vs Cost, you’re looking at a scale of Viair, Air Zenith, and then Oasis. Consider buying a dual compressor kit unless you have the cash to get an XD3000 or XD4000. They offer better value if you initially buy them like that rather than getting one and then adding another later.

Edit: Check here for a comparison of compressors:
http://www.trainhornforums.com/showpost.php?p=65073&postcount=1

Good luck with it, price up your bits and ask plenty of questions on the forum here before you buy.

location is key also. just dont get discouraged

ScaredU hasn’t been too active for a while, but he had a K5 on his Avy.
It’s probably in the install section too.