Need wiring input. Activating bell with the horn

Sorry guys, I think I put this in the wrong sub-forum, could a moderator move it to the install help section please?

I’ve had my e-bell hooked up for a couple months with my k5la now. The wheels started turning in my head the other day to replicate modern day horn/bell operation (bell activates when the horn is sounded). I drew up a schematic that utilizes a latching circuit and I’m hoping it looks good on paper. I don’t want to wire it up yet until I can get some others opinions on if this looks good. I don’t want to blow a relay or a fuse.

The momentary switch will operate the bell. Rocking the switch up manually activates the bell. Rocking it down, turns off the bell either after I’ve manually activated it, or it was activated by the horn.

Hopefully that drawing doesn’t make your head hurt. Any input on what type of diode I will need that’s between the horn button and bell relay?

Appreciate the help!

I’m no wiring expert, but it looks like it should work. I take it Relay 2 is wired N.C.
I don’t know how to size a diode except that there is no real current there. In fact, it “kicks off” the circuit and then does nothing really.

Where are you planning fuses?

Yep, #2 is n.c. I don’t know diodes that well so I don’t know if there is a certain one I should install.

I forgot to diagram the fuses. I have them right off the tap so I shouldn’t have any issues.

Any of the 1amp IN4001 series diodes should be fine for 12v use. If 1amp is too little, there’s a 3amp IN5400 series.

The usual approach is to pick the diode from the series that best suits your amperage and reverse voltage blocking needs (which should be simple in a low amperage, 12v scenario). There’s a useful chart on this page if you want to see the reverse voltage blocking capacities of the diodes in both of the aforementioned series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1N4001_and_1N5400_series_diodes

Tip:
The bigger diodes are a bit easier to work with if you’re using butt connectors. I personally prefer to solder the connections so there’s no chance of something coming loose.