New from Saint Cloud Florida

Hello all, I ran across this site looking for good information on train horns. I have nothing specific yet in mind as far as a set of horns go, but I have a specific project I am going to be working on.

The high school I graduated from and played football for (which I am still close with the coaches and staff) are looking for a “noisemaker” to sound off whenever a touchdown is made or a fumble is recovered (you get the idea) and since the mascot is a Cowboy (Spelled Kowboy’s because they are in Kissimmee) I plan on building a cowboy style chuck wagon to house a train horn with compressor and tank.

Im here looking for information and to get a general knowledge of where I need to be as far as my project goes on the horn end.

The only thing I can think of out of the box is that the louder the better.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day.

Just a few thoughts Ive had.

I plan on running a gas compressor. Most likely a wheelbarrow style and connecting that to a larger tank. I have a 65 gallon tank sitting around (an old electric compressor) for volume.

Everything else is up in the air, but I will have more than enough room to fit whatever is needed.

Im thinking I will be able to do most whatever Id want to with a 65 gallon tank.

Im open to any and all suggestions and or information so please feel free to post what you like and what you don’t.

Welcome to the forum. First thing … if you have an old 65 gallon tank you want to use, you’ll want to get that hydro pressure tested. For a big train horn (e.g. a 5 chime Nathan or Leslie) you will want to have above 110 psi in that tank. A tank that size at that pressure represents a serious danger that could easily kill someone if it fails. Get it tested - period, or go for a much smaller tank.

Ultimately, everything comes down to cost and the budget. You’ll probably need to spent upwards of $600 to get a solid rig that has the impact of a trainhorn. Shop around eBay if you want a genuine trainhorn (probably a K or P series Airchime since they are very rugged and run efficiently through a wide pressure range).

If you’re going to mount all this on a vehicle, you can probably downsize as well. Consider that you’ll want to refill your tank with air and that’s where a significant portion of your costs will be (i.e. for the compressor). 12V compressors will only ever be rated to fill 5 gallon tanks so if you have large air receiver then you’ll need multiple compressors, or an EDC (engine drive compressor), or the venerable Oasis (which costs big $$'s).

For honking at a footy match, you’re only going to need 5 or 10 gallons of air. If you want to consider a quick easy fix, the Conductor’s Special 540 Train Horn Kit from Hornblasters will give you an solution that’s ready to go. Check out the videos on the site here, especially those from user “reapeatman” - he’s gone around a few footy games with the Shockers and he’s never failed to draw serious attention with them :wink:

Good luck… search the site for inspiration or ideas (plenty of good info here), and ask questions if you’ve got 'em.

Thanks for the input.

I do have a few questions regarding your post, first the tank I’m talking about just came out of service in my powdercoat shop (I purchased a new compressor). I also purchased the old one brand new not 3 years ago. You still think I would need it checked?

Secondly, I’d be happy to buy 3 or more 10 gallon tanks and fill them pre game if you think that would be plenty (switching via vales from one tank to the next). Again I plan on a gas compressor for any recharge needed at the game.

I’m really leaning towards a true locomotive horn. I just think the cool factor would be worth it.

What pressure rating is your tank? Get some advice from a place that does hydrostatic testing - I think about every 5 years is the norm but it could be more frequent for large tanks like that.

135 max psi. I guess pressure is more important than volume with these horns?

Not really… maximum sound pressure level can be attributed to air pressure, but tank volume will determine the amount of time you can blow the horn as well as factor in the flow rate. The real train horns are hungry air hogs and everything in your air supply line will have to designed to accommodate the flow rate requirements. Air pressure will naturally drop off much slower from a larger tank. Here’s a chart to illustrate flow rate and pressure for the K series Airchimes.

Great data. Thank you again. I may just stick with the larger tank!

Im guessing it will depend on the horn set I end up with, but if Im reading correctly everything to the manifold should be set up in 1/2" line?

should I move these questions out of the introduction area and make a new thread? I don’t want to step on any toes or break any rules in my first couple of days if possible.

OOO-K! That does it - Posting tech questions in the intro thread … you’re OUTTA HERE!!! :smiley:

I don’t think we’re quite that strict around here :slight_smile: … but yeah you might get some more visibility in the “Train Horns” thread.

Oh, in terms of your other question - yes, 1/2 all the way will see you in good steed for any horn setup. Keep in mind that your kit is only as good as the smallest part of your supply line.

Welcome to the forum. You haven’t broken any rules yet and keep posting here if you like but these questions are usually asked in the different categories.
Most people here recommend 1/2" air line to help with volume. I think the input port on most horns will be smaller and have the most restriction to air flow.

Thanks again guys for the welcome, Ill start a new thread in the horns section