New to train horns...need help

I think I may have come across this same site.

But here’s another question…can you piggyback air tanks? I’m going to check to see if I have space for a larger 12 gallon tank…but if not, can I piggyback a few smaller tanks? I know this sounds stupid, but I would like to have a pretty decent amount of air capacity? Does anyone know about how long the average train horn will last continuously on a 12 gallon tank at 150psi?

Also, this compressor looks like a pretty sweet deal
http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/91/ExtremeFlow+Belt+Drive+Compressor+SERPENTINE+BELT.html
but would this one require the external lubrication and cooling? If so, is that kind of stuff hard to run?

I personally don’t like the sound of the M3, it seems ‘flat’. If train horns went through puberty, I believe the M3 would be in that stage. :smiley:

I prefer the deep tone of my P3’s.

Haha point taken.

Yes you can hook multiple tanks together. Use the same size airline that goes to the horns. I have 2 - 4 gallon tanks. Another guy has 2 - 5 gallon tanks.

12 gallons??? Bryan who posted above has that setup… Maybe he can say how much honk time he gets. He might have a 200 psi pressure switch though.

Honk time will depend on which horn you get.

I guess a P3 is what I’m going with. But would P3’s sound good at 200psi?

P3 would get the most honk time of the authentic trainhorns. IDK how they sound at 200. You can always get 150psi compressors or 200psi and a regulator…which adds a little honk time.

Sounds good man. Preciate all the info.

Also, does anyone know if the compressor I listed above requires external lubrication or cooling?

I’m using 12gal tank and a K5 @ 200psi. I never really tested how long it would honk for before it started to drop off cause it’s so damn loud I don’t honk it that long all at once. I can tell you this, I can hit it 4 decent honks and it drops to about 150psi, so it’d last a bit longer. As for the compressor, ask the manufacturer.

This is the one I plan on installing this summer.

Lubrication is done via a grease fitting, and you add it about 4 times a year.

-Kris

I actually talked to a guy from this place on the phone today for about an hour and was asking about compressors and tanks and horns and what not…awesome people up there. GREAT customer service they have. I told him what all applications I was going to be using my air system for and he talked me out of the belt driven compressor and into their 12V compressor (any time a salesman talks you OUT of the more expensive product, you know they’re pretty legit). Also, the whole building a tank thing is out the window. I’m just going to go with two 4-gallon tanks for now and maybe add one or two more 2-gallon tanks to jump it up to 12 gallons total. I think I’ve pretty much got all my questions answered except for one thing now 2 things:

1)What is the recommended pressure range to run through the Nathan P3s (to keep from damaging them and also for best sound)?
2)Of the tanks I’ve seen so far, the biggest fitting any of them have is a 3/8"…can you run a 1/2" hose with 3/8" couplers?

who did u talk to??from what place?

You probably talked to George … he’s the guy I’ve spoken to twice about that compressor. Great people, really friendly, and he took the time to talk to me about what I’m doing with my requirements.

-Kris

Not sure of his name, but it was Extreme Outback.

What did he say about edc? Dunno y he talked u out of one…
Which compressor did he recommend instead?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The P3 sounds best at 140 psi. You can use a 1/2 inch airline with a 3/8 inch valve.