Newby question K5La

Please forgive my ignorance for I know nothing about these horns. I’m considering buy a set of K5La horns. Can these horns be mounted on a high manifold? I don’t like them speed out like they are.

They sure can … the “L” and “H” are what designates either the low profile or high profile manifold.

-Kris

I kind of figured that. Thanks!

What’s the deal with raised or no raised letters? I suppose one is more desirable than the other?

It has to do when they were cast, some years are raised and some are not. It’s a good way to identify when they were made.

If you Google the Horn & Whistle board, they have the history stuff there … just don’t let them know you’re coming from here. There are some of the older guys on Horn & Whistle that don’t like us for obvious reasons.

-Kris

They don’t like us because we do not let our horns sit on a shelf and collect dust. :D:D:D

Speaking of which, there is an ex NS K5HA on eBay right now. Might make your life a little easier rather than buying a K5LA and having to also buy a separate manifold. It’s also an early 90’s horn, so it’s likely it’ll sound really good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nathan-Airchime-K5HA-Train-Horn-/142433591374?hash=item2129b4204e:g:xRIAAOSwOMdZWXdS

90’s horns are higher in pitch, probably due to the castings inadvertently becoming thicker over time (making the throats skinnier), however the majority of 90’s horns play a proper chord despite being above the advertised pitch. Most Raised Letter horns do not play a legitimate chord despite the attempt to lower the pitch of most of the bells to the correct levels. Typically they don’t sound very musical.

If you’re just trying to make a ton of noise though, it doesn’t really matter.

I would love to own some K5HLA horns but I just can’t force myself to spend $1300.00 on a set. Those horns would sound and look great mounted on my new 2017 Super Duty Platinum.

Keep an eye out, I bought my K3L on here.

-Kris