OBA setup

Hi,
I’m looking to install an OBA setup on my truck for airing up tires,air tools,blowing out the interior and whatever else I think of latter on top of an air horn setup.

The budget is tight for this project so I think I have settled on getting the 12 volt Puma compressor.
The problem with that is I don’t need the tiny tank or other stuff it comes with as I plan on using a bigger tank,etc…

So the question is does anybody know where I could get just the pump&motor from?
Hopefully this well reduce the initial cost some as well.

I haven’t been able to find anything in my searches yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you

Welcome to the forum. Check out the comparison chart here for an overview of common options.

https://www.trainhornforums.com/showthread.php?t=6219

I couldn’t see many 12v options from the Puma line, but they look like pretty small units. If you want to use air tools/dust gun tec… then I suggest you look at nothing smaller than 5 gallon tank and a constant or high duty cycle compressor. The small units will just overheat and cut out on you - waste of money and you won’t be happy.

Welcome to the forum. An Oasis compressor might be out of your budget but it will allow you to do all of the above in the shortest time and smallest tank. I recommend 5 gallons for most air horns and an oasis will fill it in 55 seconds from 0 to 150 psi.

Thanks for the welcome DBO and Danh,

I’ll look around and see how big a 5 gallon tank is and if it will fit…Its going on a Nissan Titan.
I was planning on a 2.5 gallon.

DBO,
I check out the chart you linked but since I’m new to all this it might as well be a coded chart.

The Puma MODEL: PD-1006 I am interested in gets pretty good reviews in the off road world.

I’m just not sure it will do what I want.
Plus all I need is just the pump/motor which I hope will cut the $280 cost down.
Id like to stay under $200 for the compressor.

The specs for it are:
-HORSE-POWER: 1 HP PEAK - 3/4 HP RUNNING -150 PSI MAX / 135 PSI WORKING PRESSURE
-OIL-LESS
-AMP DRAW: 30 AMPS
-3.4 cfm at 40 psi and 3 cfm at 90 psi

I’m thinking I need the tank to be pressurized to 125-150psi? But not sure…

Danh,
An Oasis from what I heard is the one to get but just isn’t in the budget right now.

Thanks for the help guys

I’ve heard from a few Puma customers that say their’s was as good as any Viair or AZ.

Thats what I have been seeing alot of others saying on other forums as well.
I think I might just grab one and pull off the pump/motor(since it doesnt seem to be available separately) and go from there hopefully it will work on a 5 gallon tank.

Blimey Dan, that’s impressive, 55secs!:eek:

It sure is. If only the price wasn’t so equally impressive :wink:
Like most things in life - you get what you pay for I suppose.

How do you guys think running twin viair compressors would work for what I want compared to the puma?
In a 5 gallon tank to say 150 psi?

Specifically the 380C,444C,450C,480C

Or how about the Air Zenith OB2

Man this is some complicated stuff,lol

I have an Air Zenith OB2 that has been shelved for my wife’s truck after I upgraded to the Extreme Outback EDC.

A 5 gallon tank will take roughly 5 minutes to go from 0 to 175 PSI, which is about normal for all of these pumps. If you’re using 2 pumps, figure about 2 to 3 minutes … with an 8.5 gallon tank and the EDC while at idle, 72 seconds; at 2000 RPM, 50 seconds.

You can see why I upgraded.

Got enough alternator to push a pair of compressors each potentially drawing 30 amps (for a total of 60 amps between the two) when at max load? Most people don’t unless they’ve upsized their alternator to something that’s aftermarket, as most trucks, today, have puny alternators (even puny ‘high output’ optional ones) in order to save weight (which helps meet mpg targets) and cut costs (because small copper coils inside alternators cost less than larger ones). If you do, then tandem compressors drawing a potential 60 amps, together, is workable.

Presumably you’re looking at twin compressors to either achieve 100% duty cycle or to increase your CFM to something reasonable for your air tools? If so, it is my opinion that when you get into a 100% duty cycle scenario (which you actually plan to use a lot) … or the 5+ CFM range … it’s time to start looking at an Oasis compressor or an engine driven compressor (EDC) a la a York 210 or a Sanden. If you hit the forums of the hard core air bag/air ride guys (who use a LOT of air), most who have done dual and quad electric compressors tend to have buyer’s remorse in the form of wishing they’d gone with an EDC – because multiple electrics eat amps, space, and ports on air tanks – and the EDC eats much less of each, is easier to wire/plumb compared to multiple electrics, AND it produces more CFM while also being capable of higher pressures. An EDC is a more complicated installation in terms of other items you need (coalescing filter, unloader, high heat hoses, etc), for sure … but not substantially so and certainly not enough to make up for the wiring (multiple relays – and use of environmentally sealed relays and fuses if you’re truly going to do it properly) and plumbing (i.e. multiple checkvalves, etc.) headaches associated with using multiple electrics. You also, as suggested, get a far more capable result from an EDC.

Frankly, the only thing I’d recommend for 5+ CFM that isn’t an EDC … is an Oasis – but only if its sight glass and oil fill port location will work for your application … and only if you have the amps to drive it without starving other parts of your electrical system.

Me, I run a York 210L inline with the serpentine belt specifically for air tool use – and I recommend that if you’re going to use air tools off the truck you locate AT LEAST 5 gallons on the truck (do twin 2.5’s if you have to) and run at least 150 psi (preferably 200). Consider that at 200psi you have 33% more air than the same volume at 150 psi. Also consider that if you regulate the pressure at the tool end (via a whip) and you have a 5 gallon reserve kept at 160 to 200 psi, your engine can basically idle while you use most air tools, and the EDC will easily keep up unless you’re seriously burning air on the likes of a 6 or 8 CFM grinder being steadily used without break – in which case you can up the idle speed to get more CFM out of the EDC.

If you’re not truly gunning for air tool use, then a 3 CFM electric at 150 psi seems fine for your application. However, again I’d say you want at least a 4-5 gallon reserve on the truck … even if you have to do twin 2 or 2.5 gallon tanks to achieve it. Also, if you’re on a budget, sticking to DOT pressures (i.e. 150psi max rated pressure) will keep costs down. Some people exceed the DOT-rated maximums on DOT-rated equipment they bought to save cash … and they do so knowing that the burst pressure is usually 3x the max-rated pressure … but I don’t recommend that as there are, of course, safety concerns.

^^

This is why I went with an EDC.

After figuring out the costs for upgrades so I could run an Oasis, which consisted of a pair of Group 31 batteries in my Dodge Ram (upgraded from Group 65 batteries) and the higher output alternator, these items alone were half the cost of the EDC so I made the leap and couldn’t be happier.

But it seems newer vehicles are being designed for more efficiency with less weight and space under the hood.

The OP’s application is a Nissan Titan – which still has plenty of space under the hood. Thankfully, most trucks still do. :wink:

Thanks guys,
Your input has been a big help.
Unfortunately this project is being put on hold for a few as I have to dump some serious change into my exhaust system(cracked manifold).

Only thing good coming from this is it will give me more time to read up and not make a rushed purchase I wont be happy with.

Yes,this will be going into a Nissan Titan but I don’t think there is enough room for an EDC and I’m not willing to loose my a/c.

As for air tool use…I don’t need to use every tool there is but would like to at least be able to use an impact wrench,blow out my interior,air up tires and of course an air horn.

Ill have to check the specs on my alternator but I am planning to run a second battery anyways for accessories leaving the first(original) battery just for the trucks original electrical system.

I’m also going to mock up a card board air tank using measurements for a 5 gallon tank(hopefully they are all similar in size) and climb underneath and see if it will fit as I would like to use 1 tank rather then 2.

Also you think 150 psi will be good enough for my purpose?

I think a 3CFM 100% duty cycle @ 1hr use compressor and a 150psi air system with 4 or 5 gallons is more than adequate for what you have listed, above since the impact wrench, blow gun, and air-ups will all occur in bursts. Just make sure you regulate air to the impact wrench to 90psi to conserve air … and also use the lowest CFM impact wrench you can. (Typically this means a pricier one … but that’s usually worth it, anyway. My Ingersoll Rand 231 series, for example, only demands 4.3CFM@90psi; I’ve seen many cheapies that range from 6.5CFM to 9.3CFM.)

Thanks surrealone,

I have narrowed it down to two compressors…

This one…
http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/69A4912A0A0.aspx

Or this one…
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=280790586347&cmd=VIDESC

Both are pretty close to the same specs except the puma is just over $100 cheaper which would help the budget some and I could put the saved money towards a tank or other accessories.

The puma I would disassemble just for the pump/motor (maybe use the tank for my airbrush setup?).

Do you think these compressors would handle my needs?
Which one would you go with?

Both compressors get good reviews online.

Once I get this figured out I’ll start on finding a good 5 gallon tank and see if one will fit as I would rather have one tank rather then two.

As for the impact wrench I will definitely look for a good low cfm one that is also more compact then the one I have for the shop.

Thanks again

The best 1/2" impacts are Aircat and Ingersoll-Rand. Their average cfm consumption is about 5 but under a load they consume around 15 to 18 cfm.

Aircat’s a bit too proud of their gear for me to own any of it. :frowning:

I haven’t used Aircat but I’ve used the IR-231 and IR-2135ti. The power and efficiency of the IR-2135ti is impressive.